Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   '12 WK2 Sub install? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/12-wk2-sub-install-41603.html)

2012WK2 05-02-2012 09:15 PM

'12 WK2 Sub install?

Hey guys,

I just picked up a new 2012 Grand Cherokee and in my true DIY fashion want to install my sub and amp this weekend. Anyone seen a good DIY for the WK2 anywhere that I can reference? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

fundguy 05-02-2012 10:49 PM

Re: '12 WK2 Sub install?

What equipment do you have? Amp? Sub? Crossover? High/low converter? Experience installing?

2012WK2 05-02-2012 11:32 PM

Well my experience is limited but I last installed the same system in my '06 Audi A4 which was pretty easy actually. It's an Alpine 350W amp and JL 10" sub and I do have a converter as well.

The Audi was easy though because it had speakers in the back which I tapped for signal and ran the amp directly off the battery. The amp will only be running the sub.

Makes me nervous tearing into a car I've had for two days with no idea what's under everything...lol

Someone said they tapped the 12V accessory outlet in the back for ignition and it seemed to work so I was thinking of trying that too.

So basically I was going to try and run the same setup. Power from battery through the firewall and down through the door kick panel to the spare tire area. Thinking I can tap door speakers for sound, 12V accessory outlet for ignition, and hope nothing explodes.

Maybe there's a better easier way though...

Tybalt39 05-03-2012 04:27 AM

No need to mess with the firewall. The battery is under the front seat (right side). I'm assuming this vehicle doesn't have either of the "premium" amp/speaker packages (SRT8 or Alpine); therefore, no factory sub? Not that the factory sub is great, just gives you a monophonic point of access into the system after the x-over.

2012WK2 05-03-2012 09:35 AM

Thanks Tybalt39! As you can obviously tell, I didn't even get that far yet as to finding to battery. sounds like that will make things easier at least a little by not having to find an access point in the firewall. And yes, the vehicle has the base package sound system so no existing sub.

I found a basic general guide last night that's pretty good in case anyone else needs it:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qiQ0sY1...ion_guide.html

It lays out the steps pretty nicely and has some good tips and reminders. At least it gives me something to follow.

Thanks for the help.

Tybalt39 05-03-2012 11:02 AM

It might be of interest to get a wiring diagram/schematic for the stock radio's amplifier circuits to get the part number for the output devices (chips, hybrids, whatever). I mention this because some of them incorporate a function to limit low-frequency output from the amplifier at higher volumes.

The intent is to minimize "clipping"* at high volume (over-driving the low-wattage amplifier; trying to re-produce low-end bass without enough power and without the correct "drivers"/speakers). The effect (when adding a speaker-level amplifier/sub system) is that the low-bass frequencies are greatly "rolled-off" before they can be re-routed through the new dedicated sub-woofer system. In effect, you are trying to amplify something that has been mostly eliminated.

I'm not saying this is what will happen with the entry-level sound systems. I am suggesting a bit of homework before the installation, just to make certain it's worth the effort.

I have seen this with another vehicle manufacturer.

* A discussion on clipping is a whole other topic, best handled in audio forums. Google it if you are not familiar with it. You can also Google "bass Nanny" to find other discussions about this issue.

GELOverland 05-03-2012 12:10 PM

I just put in a JL Audio 10w6 and 500/1v2 amp this weekend and it's working great. I tapped the signal using a PAC line out converter and disconnected the factory sub. Sounds great and is so much louder than I even need.