Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Tint in Florida and in general (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/tint-in-florida-and-in-general-41609.html)

cherokeesrt10 05-03-2012 12:52 AM

Tint in Florida and in general

Guys,

Have a dilemma on which tint I should go with since the guy gave me both options. One to match the factory or to go legal and he told me about Florida and their tint laws. I have had tint on a GMC Sonoma pickup truck and had 15% on the front windows and never ran into a problem. Just wondering if anyone in Florida has seen more enforcement or any stories. I am leaning to matching, but not sure. I am sure having a sunroof helps let light in to make it less dark and having a white jeep also helps it look lighter.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-03-2012 12:56 AM

Re: Tint in Florida and in general

i had some harassment from volusia county beach patrol on two seperate occasions, but due to my jeep being registered in PA they couldnt issue a citation. my windows were at 20%...... the stock windows are around 18% but due to light from the windshield 15% will match perfectly..... it is gamble, but i would go with 15%

SRTgirl 05-03-2012 01:10 AM

I've never had any problems with my cars that were tinted to match the back. I've only been pulled over in the SRT which is 5% all around and 50% windshield. :D

My Lexus had 35% on the fronts that the dealer had on it....I hated that it didn't match so we had it re-done also. :thumbsup:

mikebb 05-03-2012 08:11 AM

I went with 20% (3M Color Stable) on the front windows of the GC, to match the back. It's almost a perfect match, with a slightly different color cast from the inside, but from the outside looks identical to the back.

I'm in South FL and have not been hassled, even on my previous car which had 15% all around. I get the impression that cops here could not be bothered with just a tint violation alone, unless you are flaunting multiple laws - i.e. tinted license frame, taillights, etc.

Molson 05-03-2012 08:15 AM

i've got tint all around on mine and Air blue 80 tint on my front windshield that I got put on when I was in Orlando. Tint's just a toss up either you're gonna get away with it or you're not.

If you drive in the rush hour packs you can usually get away with anything. At least that was my experience living in JAX

cherokeesrt10 05-03-2012 08:55 AM

Thanks guys for the responses. Svenska I guess my situation is more like yours since my jeep is registered in Michigan and I live in Florida it sounds like they cannot issue me a citation then. I don't have any of that other stuff tinted just getting the windows done.

4.7ho 05-03-2012 09:24 AM

I have 18% fronts and they match the back windows flawlessly.

fundguy 05-04-2012 05:59 PM

I've gone with match the rear tint on all my SUV's for the front door windows and never had an issue. They usually use the tint laws as an extra stick it to you ticket if they want to mess with you and don't worry about it much otherwise.

gomaximo 05-04-2012 11:26 PM

I have got 3M crystalline CR 40. A friend got a Ticket for tinting in his Honda Civic (5%) here in Miami. At the end of the day if at your risk:o

FlyinRyan 05-04-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 623557)
i had some harassment from volusia county beach patrol on two seperate occasions, but due to my jeep being registered in PA they couldnt issue a citation. my windows were at 20%...... the stock windows are around 18% but due to light from the windshield 15% will match perfectly..... it is gamble, but i would go with 15%

Volusia county? Might've been a slow day, they usually have real work to do there. :lol:

rangersgiants 05-05-2012 12:06 AM

Anyone know if tinting the front windows the same as the back on the 2012 overland would be legal in the state of CT?

4.7ho 05-05-2012 07:35 AM

According to this [ http://www.tintworld.com/images/AUTOMOTIVE-LAWS.pdf ] it would not be but neither is most of the tint people here in Florida install. Dark tint may stand out a bit more in CT, here in FL tint is everywhere so I think it goes largely unnoticed.