Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Can I build my lift adding to the Daystar kit? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/can-i-build-my-lift-adding-to-the-daystar-kit-41629.html)

Muddy4DSM 05-03-2012 10:37 AM

Can I build my lift adding to the Daystar kit?

Iíve recently purchased a Daystar lift kit with some new Bilsteins and will probably be installing them next weekend. Iím doing some reading and it doesnít look like many people go this route compared to some of the other methods of lifting the WK (more involved, requires the spring compressor for the front) so Iím not finding as much info this kit. I found a thread with all sorts of measurements of peopleís rigs before and after lifts and was wondering about the potential of the Daystar system combined with other BB lifting methods. Since this is a spring support spacer (picturing the front setup) and it fits below the spring, it is possible to add a strut spacer kit to the top of the spring/strut assembly? Has anyone tried this? I canít think that Iím the only who has thought about this but I havenít seen anyone else mention it. Would this work to make a homemade 3-4Ē lift in the front, depending on the spacer?

Relwarc 05-03-2012 10:41 AM

Re: Can I build my lift adding to the Daystar kit?

I've been out of the lifting game a while, but spacers are to be used sparingly. Adding spacers to the top and bottom of a spring assembly are going to lower the stability of the whole setup. Those assemblies are designed to be a certain length/height. Adding spacers changes that geometry.

I'm not saying it's dangerous or impossible, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was.

Muddy4DSM 05-03-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relwarc (Post 623727)
I've been out of the lifting game a while, but spacers are to be used sparingly. Adding spacers to the top and bottom of a spring assembly are going to lower the stability of the whole setup. Those assemblies are designed to be a certain length/height. Adding spacers changes that geometry.

I'm not saying it's dangerous or impossible, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was.

Spacers are to be using sparingly? Aren't most of the BB lifts people are doing the ones that sit on top of the strut tower assembly? Maybe I'm using the incorrect term, but this is what I was thinking:

http://www.justlevelingkits.com/images/jeep_664.jpg

I see what you mean about using multiples not being as stable, but since they'd mount in two separate system I was wondering if it would work. The Daystar fits under the spring within the compressed section of the tower. The other spacer kits fit on top of the strut between the tower and the body. Since the are effecting two different sections (not like one above the spring and one below within the contained compression) that it might be feasible.

paroxysym 05-03-2012 12:40 PM

been running the daystar for a year now- no problems and yes it goes at the bottom of the spring assembly. it works, eventhough other spacer lifts go on top of the spring. i believe with the daystar you can add a strut spacer to the top of the spring assembly and you should be fine with that.

i think the daytar is alittle on the short side of BB, giving you just under a 2" lift. as for stacking the daystar bb with another lift- i wouldnt recommend it. youll be replacing the rack in the front left and right. unless youre adding it to a 4" SL.. run them by themselves.

Muddy4DSM 05-03-2012 12:48 PM

Ok, I'm reading that two different ways there. The kit I pictured above it called a "leveling kit", which looks like spacers on top of the front strut towers to me, but I'm not sure which category they would fall into. Would that be considered "another lift" or would that a "spacer"?

If spacers would be fine, would either of these work?

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...ont-wk-xk.html

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...tes-xk-wk.html

Muddy4DSM 05-03-2012 12:51 PM

If the 2 inch spacers would work on the front with the daystars, could the rear springs be swapped out with the Rusty's 2" coils then add the spacer in there too for a total of 3.5-4"?

omelet 05-04-2012 11:58 PM

I would not recommend stacking two BB together. The max I would do is add one or two of the Rusty's strut spacer up front for an additional .5-1" of lift. Out back you could add either the MLL or Rusty's/OME coils with the spacers you already have.

What are your plans for rear shocks?

What is your intended use for the Jeep?

Muddy4DSM 05-07-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omelet (Post 624771)
I would not recommend stacking two BB together. The max I would do is add one or two of the Rusty's strut spacer up front for an additional .5-1" of lift. Out back you could add either the MLL or Rusty's/OME coils with the spacers you already have.

What are your plans for rear shocks?

What is your intended use for the Jeep?

Rear shocks will be the Bilsteins that I ordered from Kolak that are intended to be used with the 2Ē lift. As for the use of the Jeep Ė Daily driver, dog hauler, and more so farm fields and mud that Iíd encounter while hunting. Donít have much for trails nearby (that Iíve found) so Itís mostly rural type offroading. Planning on the Rubicon Mud Terrain tires for shoes once I have the lift installed.

As for the Rustyís spacers, if I can stack a couple of them then that would be fine. Going much longer than that without changing some of the other components to support that much lift I could see as trouble. I just was seeing how people are modifying the lifts they are putting on their WKís and was wondering about the possibilities of adding to the spring spacers since they are a little more ďinternalĒ to the system than a standard BB spacer.

omelet 05-07-2012 11:00 PM

Ok the Bilstein rear shocks won't really give you any additional lift. So if you rase the front another 1" the rear is going to be sagging. Just keep your hub-fender measurements under 23" and you SHOULD be good.

Muddy4DSM 05-08-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omelet (Post 626343)
Ok the Bilstein rear shocks won't really give you any additional lift. So if you rase the front another 1" the rear is going to be sagging. Just keep your hub-fender measurements under 23" and you SHOULD be good.

Would a set of the Rusty's rear springs with the Daystar spring spacers be a solid/safe setup for the rear if I ran the Bilsteins with the Daystar spring spacers and Rusty's plates (2 per side) up front?

I'm not looking to lift it any more than the Daystars until I get new tires, but if this system could be reliable then I could essentially add another inch up front and two in the back - not bad for a little more investment down the road. I haven't done any measuring, but would that kind of rake be less than the stock setup?

Another question on the lifts - does anyone know the specs for headlight adjustment after lifting or is it not that big of a deal?

Muddy4DSM 11-14-2012 09:12 AM

Bump on the last question. Been looking at MLL for the rear because the back tire is filling out the wheel well much more than the front and want to match the spacing (aka get the rake back). While doing that, would it be possible to swap out all my springs for the Rusty's set in addition to my Daystar spacers?

Also, dumb question here. Been seeing the MLL for 105-140 online - that's per side, correct?

jjt250 11-14-2012 11:28 AM

MLL's are sold as a pair so about $100 will buy you 2 shocks, to be clear. Check Amazon. That's where I got my stock length ones and paid just and $100 I think. However, I'm probably going to be replacing them soon.