Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Wheel badly scuffed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/wheel-badly-scuffed-41663.html)

pwyss 05-04-2012 06:15 AM

Wheel badly scuffed

3 Attachment(s)
Noticed a few days ago a big scuff mark on the front passenger wheel on my new WK2. Don't know what happened and questioning all persons in the household did not bring up anything :slapfight:

Usually I would have just ignored that but for *%$@ing sake it's a new WK2!!

Finally decided to give one of the mobile whee repair guys a call. In this case it was mobilealloywheelrepairs.com.au.

Was sceptical but thought I should give it a go. One hour and $150 later the wheel looked like new. Was very impressed with the work and none of the people I showed it could identify the fixed spoke. I only knew because I marked it with a pencil.

So just in case you get into a similar situation, the repair on the WK2 20" alloy wheels is possible and will be invisible.

Attached before and after pics. On the after pic what you see is just the light reflection, the repair is completely invisible.

ENFORCER 05-04-2012 06:22 AM

Re: Wheel badly scuffed

I am sure I will be using them eventually. The wife has a bad habit of hitting gutters and driving when the tyre is flat.

markp99 05-04-2012 06:24 AM

Amazing work! My heart would have stopped if I saw that on my Jeep!

Jasman 05-04-2012 06:49 AM

Nice work! Was it expensive?

Edit. I'm an idiot, you mentioned the price in the op.

allypally 05-04-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasman (Post 624272)
Nice work! Was it expensive?

You need to stop reading between the lines, and read the actual words. He said it was $150, so yes.... but no, if you know what I mean.http://jeepgarage.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

Yadkin 05-04-2012 08:25 AM

You have a corresponding scuff mark on your tire side wall. Obviously from curb rash...

Nice job on the repair. There is an advantage to painted wheels.

pwyss 05-04-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 624313)
You have a corresponding scuff mark on your tire side wall. Obviously from curb rash...

Nice job on the repair. There is an advantage to painted wheels.

Yes, there was a mark on the tyre side wall but it was minor and disappeared after a good wash and some scrubbing.

AussieWK2 05-05-2012 01:53 AM

Have to admit I too have a scrap on my front passenger wheel. When I showed my wife your images and mentioned we too have something similar said quickly quipped "wasn't me!". She was prone to hacking the Prado wheels.

I put my hand up and confessed doing it a few weeks ago which was my first in many many years.

I knew these repair guys were around so I didn't cry (nearly) but the repair on yours is great.

I think the Touch Up Guys do this also but I'll check to see if there is a mobile alloy franchise up here.

GlennR 03-10-2013 10:47 PM

Not pointing the finger at anybody, but picked up a scuff on the NS front wheel. :mad:Has anybody aquired matching touch up paint. I was going to lightly "stone" the scuff then prime and paint to repair.

fwdjeep 03-10-2013 11:12 PM

Nice repair job

allypally 03-11-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 777806)
Not pointing the finger at anybody, but picked up a scuff on the NS front wheel. :mad:Has anybody aquired matching touch up paint. I was going to lightly "stone" the scuff then prime and paint to repair.

The mobile wheel repairer guys usually mix the paint on the spot to match the rims. I don't think the spray can off the shelf does an exact colour match, unless you want to paint the whole rim.

BobT 03-11-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwyss (Post 624260)
Noticed a few days ago a big scuff mark on the front passenger wheel on my new WK2. Don't know what happened and questioning all persons in the household did not bring up anything :slapfight:

Usually I would have just ignored that but for *%$@ing sake it's a new WK2!!

Finally decided to give one of the mobile whee repair guys a call. In this case it was mobilealloywheelrepairs.com.au.

Was sceptical but thought I should give it a go. One hour and $150 later the wheel looked like new. Was very impressed with the work and none of the people I showed it could identify the fixed spoke. I only knew because I marked it with a pencil.

So just in case you get into a similar situation, the repair on the WK2 20" alloy wheels is possible and will be invisible.

Attached before and after pics. On the after pic what you see is just the light reflection, the repair is completely invisible.

Good to know. After going off-road a bit, my polished alloy wheels are no longer so polished. In fact I have some gouges that may have to be ground out. At $150/wheel, I might leave it till I sell the car. I'm sure the cost would be recovered a couple of times over.

One wonders about the black off-road look alloys so favoured in the US. They must look a mess in no time at all. At least they would be easily fixed with a can of spray paint.