Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/doesnt-this-reduce-the-amount-of-clearance-41750.html)

JeepMonster 05-05-2012 10:00 PM

Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance?
 
I've noticed that in front of the wheel wells there are these plastic tabs that look like they could affect how much clearance the Jeep has, especially without a leveling kit.

Anyone else have a problem with these getting in the way when going off road? Also, I don't have the selec-terrain on my WK2.

http://i50.tinypic.com/a14cb6.jpg

4.7ho 05-05-2012 10:31 PM

Re: Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance?
 
Those come off as a whole with the lower facia when it is removed.

This is from the owners manual

NOTE: Prior to off-road driving, remove the front air
dam to prevent damage. The front air dam is attached to
the lower front fascia with seven quarter turn fasteners

JeepMonster 05-05-2012 10:50 PM

Re: Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance?
 
Is there any benefit to leaving them on? Seems like it'd look better with them taken off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.7ho (Post 625298)
Those come off as a whole with the lower facia when it is removed.

This is from the owners manual

NOTE: Prior to off-road driving, remove the front air
dam to prevent damage. The front air dam is attached to
the lower front fascia with seven quarter turn fasteners


4.7ho 05-05-2012 10:56 PM

Re: Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance?
 
I think they'd have aerodynamic properties to them by directing the air around the front tires but hey if you don't like them then ditch'em! All depends on how much they bug you and personal preference.

SW03ES 05-05-2012 11:09 PM

Re: Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance?
 
They're there for aerodynamic purposes to help with fuel economy.

For the vast majority of Jeep drivers, ground clearance is of little concern.

JeepMonster 05-05-2012 11:19 PM

Re: Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance?
 
I was just thinking since I don't have the selec-terrain it could help out, especially since the front sits a little lower than the rear. Maybe I'm just a little crazy. I wonder how much less aerodynamic it'd really be if I take them off though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 625315)
They're there for aerodynamic purposes to help with fuel economy.

For the vast majority of Jeep drivers, ground clearance is of little concern.


SW03ES 05-05-2012 11:44 PM

Re: Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance?
 
Not having selec-terrain has nothing to do with ground clearance. You mean Quadra-lift.

I'd leave them on and remove the whole air dam if you're going to be offroading.

JeepMonster 05-05-2012 11:49 PM

Re: Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance?
 
Right I meant quadra life. Is the air damn the entire plastic piece that sits below the bumper?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 625341)
Not having selec-terrain has nothing to do with ground clearance. You mean Quadra-lift.

I'd leave them on and remove the whole air dam if you're going to be offroading.


SW03ES 05-06-2012 12:36 AM

Re: Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance?
 
Yep, everything underneath the painted part.

Aiyer 05-06-2012 12:46 AM

Re: Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance?
 
IIRC, i think you can remove just that piece of plastic. There were 4 tabs or clips that hold it. Look at the pictures in this post. It can be removed...

http://jeepgarage.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=91

Cherodude 05-06-2012 01:10 AM

Re: Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance?
 
Here's a thread about removing the front air dams, by ZeroSixFour:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...932#post435932

JeepMonster 05-06-2012 08:58 AM

Re: Doesn't this reduce the amount of clearance?
 
Awesome, thanks for the help!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 625359)
IIRC, i think you can remove just that piece of plastic. There were 4 tabs or clips that hold it. Look at the pictures in this post. It can be removed...

http://jeepgarage.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=91



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community