Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Void Warranty by importing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/void-warranty-by-importing-41762.html)

SarKat 05-06-2012 09:37 AM

Void Warranty by importing

Just imported a 2011 Overland with the 5.7 Hemi. Very Happy with the vehicle and was easy to bring across the border into Canada. I was just wondering though, why is it that the North American waranty is voided as soon as we as Canadians import a vehicle from the USA? I believe that Ford and GM do not void their warranty, only Chrysler Corp. I realize that it is better to buy local, but when I can buy an Overland with less miles (about 20K less) with the Hemi for $12-$15K less in the USA vs. a Laredo with the V6 in Canada it's hard to stay local. Thanks in advance

jd2012jgc 05-06-2012 12:13 PM

Re: Void Warranty by importing

Its pressure from the Cdn dealers.

It used to be that the warranty was good on both sides of the border.

Poor Canadians are still getting ripped off by Chrysler (and most other car manufacturers for that matter). That Overland you just bought costs about $15k more in Canada than in the US. Complete BS as far as I can see--how does it cost Chrysler $15k more to ship the same Jeep from Detroit to Toronto as opposed to Buffalo?

Now, if you have any warranty issues, just drive your car back to the US and make a little trip/vacation out of it. (Lots of my friends do that--drive over to Buffalo for the wknd, get some shopping in and get the car checked out under warranty)

Knightrider03m 05-06-2012 12:41 PM

I think the price is like that for all of the big 3. Could be wrong though.

Pat@FieldsAuto 05-07-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd2012jgc (Post 625533)
Its pressure from the Cdn dealers.

It used to be that the warranty was good on both sides of the border.

Poor Canadians are still getting ripped off by Chrysler (and most other car manufacturers for that matter). That Overland you just bought costs about $15k more in Canada than in the US. Complete BS as far as I can see--how does it cost Chrysler $15k more to ship the same Jeep from Detroit to Toronto as opposed to Buffalo?

Now, if you have any warranty issues, just drive your car back to the US and make a little trip/vacation out of it. (Lots of my friends do that--drive over to Buffalo for the wknd, get some shopping in and get the car checked out under warranty)

The only issue is once the vehicle is reported sold to the OP with a Canada address Chrysler flags the vehicle and the vehicle now has no warranty here or there.

KILOFINAL 05-07-2012 11:10 AM

It's a joke. You can buy a 2WD Overland in America for $1000 more than a base Laredo in Canada. As someone already mentioned, the vehicles are built across the river in Detroit yet the Canadian Freight and delivery charge is almost $2000.

A base 4WD laredo in Canada starts at almost $39,000 and the Canadian dollar is on par with the greenback.

brandont 05-07-2012 03:56 PM

Just guessing - import taxes?

robpp 05-07-2012 05:36 PM

taxes pay for their healthcare :D

ENFORCER 05-07-2012 05:56 PM

I bet if Chrycorp were challenged in court over this issue, they could lose. If the USA and Canada have a free trade agreement, Chrycorp could be in violation of an international treaty. If they chose to defend it, they may have to admit to price fixing or market manipulation. Could be an interesting situation for them. Just because someone prints something on paper (like voiding a warranty) does not make it legal. What would happen if you bought a Jeep in the USA as a resident and needed to relocate to Canada for work ?

KILOFINAL 05-07-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 626166)
I bet if Chrycorp were challenged in court over this issue, they could lose. If the USA and Canada have a free trade agreement, Chrycorp could be in violation of an international treaty. If they chose to defend it, they may have to admit to price fixing or market manipulation. Could be an interesting situation for them. Just because someone prints something on paper (like voiding a warranty) does not make it legal. What would happen if you bought a Jeep in the USA as a resident and needed to relocate to Canada for work ?

Thats my current challenge. I may have to move to america because of my career in the near future. Other than holding out and buying once i get there, if i buy now, the warranty could be void when I move

jd2012jgc 05-07-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandont (Post 626118)
Just guessing - import taxes?

Duty free as per the Auto Pact/NAFTA

SarKat 05-08-2012 08:56 AM

The taxes I had to pay were $2000 for Goods and ServiceTax (GST), no provincial tax as I am from Alberta. $200 for Fedral inspection and another $200 for Provincial inspection (another money grab), $100 A.C. tax and $10/tire for recycle fees. There was no Duty as the vehicle is North American. Cost me roughly $300 in fuel and food to drive it from Minnesota to home. I would have had to pay all of these, minus the inspection fees and cost to get it home (oh yeah $500 to fly to Minnesota) anyways, so I fail to see the huge variance in cost.

KILOFINAL 05-09-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarKat (Post 626460)
The taxes I had to pay were $2000 for Goods and ServiceTax (GST), no provincial tax as I am from Alberta. $200 for Fedral inspection and another $200 for Provincial inspection (another money grab), $100 A.C. tax and $10/tire for recycle fees. There was no Duty as the vehicle is North American. Cost me roughly $300 in fuel and food to drive it from Minnesota to home. I would have had to pay all of these, minus the inspection fees and cost to get it home (oh yeah $500 to fly to Minnesota) anyways, so I fail to see the huge variance in cost.

Sarkat, you got a great deal IMO. I think the savings is worth any future risk. Alberta?....I was in Edmonton yesterday. Alberta is very beautiful