Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Does the standard window tint have UV protection (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/does-the-standard-window-tint-have-uv-protection-41835.html)

mm1964 05-07-2012 06:49 PM

Does the standard window tint have UV protection

I'm about to get the front windows of my 2012 GC Overland tinted and am wondering whether I should add either a light tint with UV protection or a clear UV protection to all the other windows (rear windows and sunroof).

I don't trust the answer from the dealer, so does anyone know if the standard window tinting on the 2012 GC sunroof and rear windows have any UV protection?

Thanks in advance guys.

just4fun 05-07-2012 06:56 PM

Re: Does the standard window tint have UV protection

No UV protection on any window, I had UV added to all, and had the two fronts tinted with UV

GlennR 05-08-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just4fun (Post 626192)
No UV protection on any window, I had UV added to all, and had the two fronts tinted with UV

Whats a good price for all round UV plus dark tints to the front?

EDIT: - And I'm sure I read on another post to tint the fronts to match the privacy, you're looking at a 15% to 20% tint film. (Darkest legal I recall is around 30% but was a lttle on the light side. A good 20% should match OK although might draw the attention of our boys in blue!)

Deserthucker 05-08-2012 02:27 AM

18-20% is legal in most states.
SA has some strange laws.
Think mine was $360. fronts and UV on the rest.

darthgus 05-08-2012 02:36 AM

By this - I think most states are 35%..

http://www.wfaanz.org.au/AutoAU.htm

Im pretty sure on ours we got 35% on the front and 32% on the back or something to match up the colours..

GlennR 05-08-2012 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserthucker (Post 626383)
18-20% is legal in most states.
SA has some strange laws.
Think mine was $360. fronts and UV on the rest.

So.....$700 for darks to front and UV to the rest might be a little on the expensive side:eek: I'll try a freelancer for a price.

Deserthucker 05-08-2012 03:50 AM

no $360 for the lot
And he done it on a weekend (at his home) because I was out of town.

GlennR 05-08-2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 626394)
So.....$700 for darks to front and UV to the rest might be a little on the expensive side:eek: I'll try a freelancer for a price.

Sorry, I meant the quote from the dealer today...$700.

just4fun 05-08-2012 04:57 AM

I only paid $400 for my UV and front tints

ENFORCER 05-08-2012 05:06 AM

35% VLT is the legal tint on the front windows in Oz (not windscreen that is 100%VLT...I.E no tint allowed), you can go limo tint (5%VLT) on the rear windows.
The standard dyed glass (it is not a tint film) on our cars are is 18% apparently and is commonly called privacy glass.
I paid $80 for my front tint off a mate who is a tinter.

GlennR 05-08-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 626409)
35% VLT is the legal tint on the front windows in Oz (not windscreen that is 100%VLT...I.E no tint allowed), you can go limo tint (5%VLT) on the rear windows.
The standard dyed glass on our cars are is 18% apparently and is commonly called privacy glass.
I paid $80 for my front tint off a mate who is a tinter.

Is it worth the risk of going to a 20%/25%. Thats what I would like to do on the fronts to match the privacy. There's heaps of cars on the road with really dark and sometimes highly reflective glass on all windows. Maybe the police turn a blind eye? My last car had privacy rears standard and the fronts tinted at 35%. They stuck out like a sore thumb and whilst I appreciated the additional cooling, I didn't like the look.

ENFORCER 05-08-2012 07:53 AM

Mine looks fine with 35% as it is colour matched with the privacy glass, but it is your car and you would be taking the risk.
I had 20% on a car many years ago and nearly ran someone over one wet and dark night. Ever since then I have not wanted to risk it.

Technically you are knowingly making your car unroadworthy. Most tinters will not give you a receipt for the work as they do not want to admit they do it. My mate said he would limo tint my windscreen if I wanted, but it was my risk and cash only.