Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Factory towbar question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/factory-towbar-question-41850.html)

Matty470 05-07-2012 10:25 PM

Factory towbar question

I've ordered my Overland with the factory Mopar towbar. I haven't actually seen one in the flesh. I assume they are the standard 50mm box section, so my Hayman Reese WDH will still fit?

Secondly, with a tow hitch fitted (standard and WDH) does the placement of the factory camera allow you to see the towball when reversing to allow for trailer hookup?
My last 3 cars have had this and it has saved many an argument.....:slapfight:

Cheers,
Matty

savvas 05-07-2012 11:06 PM

Re: Factory towbar question

It appears to be the standard box section. Mopar appear to sell a different hitch in Australia to the one they do in the US, so my guess is it's a local contract manufacturer like Hayman Reese that make it. Therefore local equipment from Hayman Reese, Ark, etc should fit.

Someone here (or maybe on ausjeepoffroad) has mentioned that the towball is right on the red line in the rear camera view.

John47 05-08-2012 02:02 AM

The factory Mopar tow bar is made by Bestbars in NZ and appears to be a quality item.
My HR WDH head wouldn't fit straight into the 50mm receiver, I had to just put a bit more chamfer on the corners of the solid section. Took about 5min with an angle grinder - even a file would do it.
Only slight issue is the standard hole on the HR tongue section is a bit far back and w hen fitted to the Mopar bar the head is probably about 100mm too far out of the receiver. I haven't yet drilled another hole to move it back but did a 5500k loop with the van and all went brilliantly.
Yes - you can clearly see the tow bar tongue and ball, easy to back up to the van in park mode and raise the QL to engage the ball - it is that simple.

Just an aside - some dealers don't replace the rear towing hook when fitting the bar - if you want it on maybe let them know because the hook has to be refitted with the bar and before the back bumper is replaced. Also ask them to leave the trailer harness accessible under the pod in the LH rear so you can get at it for the stoplight feed to the brake controller.
Good luck
John

Matty470 05-08-2012 03:28 AM

Brilliant...........
Thanks for the info..

I'll think about the rear hook. I have a rated recovery hitch that I can fit if need be.

Deserthucker 05-08-2012 03:56 AM

The camera is great fore hooking up the black dotted line is a good guide.
and is made in NZ

just4fun 05-08-2012 04:53 AM

Camera works just fine, it's really easy to see, I don't use my WDH, as the GC does not need it, you can see the system lift up when you put the weight on the ball.

John47 05-08-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just4fun (Post 626405)
Camera works just fine, it's really easy to see, I don't use my WDH, as the GC does not need it, you can see the system lift up when you put the weight on the ball.

Yep - it levels the load - it doesn't distribute the load though - the primary reason for using a WDH.
In the National Dealer Bulletin 72/2011, Jeep advise that a WDH is recommended for all aggregate tow weights above 2268kg. In the same bulletin they advise that these hitches can be safely used with all available suspension systems on Grand Cherokee 2011 MY onwards.

just4fun 05-08-2012 05:41 AM

John,

Could you post a link please

Cheers

Matty470 05-08-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John47 (Post 626414)
Yep - it levels the load - it doesn't distribute the load though - the primary reason for using a WDH.
In the National Dealer Bulletin 72/2011, Jeep advise that a WDH is recommended for all aggregate tow weights above 2268kg. In the same bulletin they advise that these hitches can be safely used with all available suspension systems on Grand Cherokee 2011 MY onwards.

Yep...I read that in the sales brochure I got from the dealer too.
I'll still be using my WDH with my van, which has an ATM of 2350kg

John47 05-08-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just4fun (Post 626418)
John,

Could you post a link please

Cheers

I don't have a link - a copy of the document was handed to us by the dealer at delivery in response to my questions about towing with a WDH and QL.

I have scanned it and it's available as a .pdf but the forum won't allow me to post attachments - I don't know why because I've posted images before.
Maybe pm an email address and I'll send no worries.
John

Matty470 05-08-2012 07:08 PM

This is shown on the sales brochure for the MY12
Note point 1 under the towing data..
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10...r/d9e35f73.jpg

John47 05-08-2012 07:32 PM

Well done Matty,
the section you posted is about half of the Dealer Bulletin and covers the point. Actually the bit about WDH only applies to those variants able to tow 3500kg,i.e. the 5.7 with towing kit and the 3.0l CRD - otherwise 2,268kg towing max.
Thanks
But still not sure why I can't post similar.....