Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Dealers says not to switch to synthetic until 15,000 miles (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/dealers-says-not-to-switch-to-synthetic-until-15-000-miles-41853.html)

gaidin43 05-08-2012 07:29 AM

Dealers says not to switch to synthetic until 15,000 miles

So I have free oil changes for life and the dealer said for me not to switch over to synthetic oil until 15,000 because the engine needs to break in.

Is this anywhere in the manual or warranty guidelines? Or is this dealer full of it?

This is my first oil change after 1000 miles of break in for a wk2 with a 5.7 Hemi.

They say they use Kendall but I've never heard of it and always just used Mobil 1. Any reviews on this oil? Or compared to Mobil 1? Can I switch over to Mobil 1 years down the line when I move?

ColdCase 05-08-2012 08:39 AM

Re: Dealers says not to switch to synthetic until 15,000 miles

15000 mile or so used to be the rule of thumb. They used to think that synthetic was too slippery to allow the little bit of honing needed to max piston ring sealing and therefore maximize compression and minimize oil consumption. I'm not sure if this makes sense for current engines. There are plenty of engines that come from the factory with synthetic, perhaps made with better tolerances? I dunno.

Rose City GC SRT8 05-08-2012 08:40 AM

Does the owner's manual call for synthetic oil? The reason I say this is the dealer is on the hook for free oil changes and may be trying to go the cheap route, rather than giving you the pricey synthetic. You should be broken in after 500 miles.

Dabitz 05-08-2012 10:04 AM

I switched my Penstar to syntetic at 1K miles, no issues (knock on wood) at 33K miles...

mot250 05-08-2012 10:43 AM

Dealer told me I could not get a Grand Cherokee Overland with 18 inch wheels until I showed them the OR package on Overland so I'd say dealers do not know everything.

The owners manual I got with my 2012 v6 indicates a break-in period of only 500 miles. I did my first oil change at 2300 miles and switched to full synthetic at that time. My first 2300 miles included a good mix of city and highway miles to the tune of approx 20 city & 20 highway miles on the way to work and 20 highway plus 20 city on the way home in that order. Add to that some local travel on the weekends. The engine should be pretty well broke in at that point.

jd2012jgc 05-08-2012 11:09 AM

The owners manual for the 5.7 states that 5w-20 must be used, and either regular or synthetic oils are fine.

Changing the oil at ~1k miles has to do with removing any metal filings/shavings that might be trapped in the oil and filter, though it is "claimed" that with todays higher manufacturing tolerances it is unnecessary. BTW, I changed my oil/filter at 1999 miles :)

As for switching to synthetic, there is some rationale for waiting a few thousand miles to properly let the pistons/rings seal. I am going to wait until my first scheduled change at 8k/6months before switching to synthetic. No harm will be done running regular 5w-20 in the engine all summer.

As to the OP who never heard of Kendall and whether it is better than Mobil 1--all I can say is that there are entire websites dedicated to these discussions/arguments (including some long threads here)! In realilty, as long as you change your oil/filter at the regular intervals, there really isnt any "bad" synthetic. I use the one that's on sale, and stock up a few quarts in the garage.

gaidin43 05-08-2012 11:17 AM

So should I go right to synthetic or wait and use Dino oil until 6 month mark?

Mongoose9400 05-08-2012 11:19 AM

On my WK2 6.4L SRT8 comes factory filled with synthetic. I changed the oil at 300 miles, 3k, 8k so far. Everything is fine.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Lingohocken 05-08-2012 03:12 PM

Oil, engines -- everything has changed in the last 10-20 years. Just dump the factory goo, filter and accumulated shavings at ~1k miles, then you're safe to use whatever type of proper-weight oil you prefer. As a certified fussbudget, I prefer and use Mobil 1 EP, but it's pricey. If you've got a V6 and QL, it's a walk in the park to change the oil and filter yourself rather than relying on whatever the dealer decides to use.

tbechtel 05-08-2012 10:05 PM

The dealer is telling you that because it is cheaper for him to provide cheap Kendall mineral oil than more expensive synthetic for the free oil changes.. Synthetic is good to go from the beginning.

J13ntv 05-08-2012 11:06 PM

I highly doubt the free oil changes are provided at no cost for synthetic anyways. Alot of members think the dealer is just being cheap, but I assume the free oil changes are for conventional anyways with probably an up-charge for synthetic which is not required.

gaidin43 05-09-2012 05:13 AM

I'm pretty sure they would tell me to pay the difference which is only about 2$ a quart, so about 7 quarts (btw holy crap amount of oil for a jeep!!, my 1500 took 5 quarts!!).

I'll go in this weekend and see but I'm still suck to go straight to synthetic or wait till first 6 month change to switch from Dino