Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   jeep cranks sometimes and then finally starts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/jeep-cranks-sometimes-and-then-finally-starts-41873.html)

wkjeepgirl86 05-08-2012 04:06 PM

jeep cranks sometimes and then finally starts

from time to time ive been getting in the jeep and it just cranks and then finaly it starts. i dont want this to leave me stranded on the road so any sugestions would help. im thinking maybe a crank position sensor??? thanks

JMLoughrey 05-08-2012 07:01 PM

Re: jeep cranks sometimes and then finally starts

check for any codes by doing the key trick.

Chech the connections at the ECU under the hood (passenger side firewall) Make sure everything is fully seated and tight.

wkjeepgirl86 05-09-2012 08:20 AM

no codes and everything looks tight

JeepCoop 05-09-2012 09:08 AM

Starter?

Antonio186 05-09-2012 09:13 AM

if it takes a long time to start, ie cranking a long time and then finally fires up. usually thats an indication to a clogged fuel filter. i would replace that first and see if the problem persists.

wkjeepgirl86 05-10-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonio186 (Post 626980)
if it takes a long time to start, ie cranking a long time and then finally fires up. usually thats an indication to a clogged fuel filter. i would replace that first and see if the problem persists.

I doesnt happen every time though. isnt the fuel pump and filter one unit in the tank?

Antonio186 05-10-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkjeepgirl86 (Post 627753)
I doesnt happen every time though. isnt the fuel pump and filter one unit in the tank?

not sure if it is on the wk? or a seperate unit. maybe some WK guys could chime in and clarify on that. im basing my diagnosis on general mechanic experience.

tom58 05-10-2012 11:59 PM

hi wkgirl86, thats a very common thing on the 5.7. happens on mine from the first day on. but only about 2-3 times a month. does it happen with yours more often??

wkjeepgirl86 05-24-2012 04:48 PM

ive never had it happen untill recently so thats why im trying to figure out whats wrong

jrjeep 05-24-2012 05:14 PM

early stage of a sensor misfiring. Find out which one asap this
happened to me on a chrysler 300 i use to own

wkjeepgirl86 05-24-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrjeep (Post 634286)
early stage of a sensor misfiring. Find out which one asap this
happened to me on a chrysler 300 i use to own

thats what im trying to do but no one seems to know and i dont have a code

Escape 05-24-2012 09:43 PM

Seeing as yours is an 06 do you still have the factory battery?

If yes, you probably need a new battery. The HEMI is sensitive to voltage issues.

Are your battery connections clean and tight? Are they also good in the Power distribution block (first black box under the hood nearest the battery) it has a big red terminal inside?

If yes to the above, I'd replace the crank sensor.

Your fuel filter and regulator are all in the fuel hat/basket and are replaced as a unit. If you have a mechanic friend you can have them check the fuel pump wave pattern to look for issues. I would go to the battery or crank shaft sensor first though.

If you had fuel issues it would be throughout the operation of the vehicles RPM range.