Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Will I fail VA Inspection for window tint? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/will-i-fail-va-inspection-for-window-tint-41928.html)

JeepMonster 05-09-2012 09:01 PM

Will I fail VA Inspection for window tint?

I know the legal limit for VA is 50% on the fronts but can they actually fail you for having say 35%? What is everyone in VA's opinion on this?

JPZLNYG 05-10-2012 01:46 PM

Re: Will I fail VA Inspection for window tint?

I don't know about the VA Inspection but my friends had 35% or 30% tint on his front windows and kept getting pulled over. Tickets were pretty hefty.

Dollar 05-10-2012 02:09 PM

I don't know about VA either, but if the state inspections are like here in Texas, then it's up to the station to check your tint. Here, if they check, they will fail you. You get to have your "failure" fixed and can return without paying a second time. I have been lucky enough to use a few places that never checked tint. I did, however, ask ahead of time if they checked. If they said yes, I'd move along without wasting my time or money or their time. If they get busted, they lose their inspection license, so it's not easy finding a place willing to skip the check. I let them know that I would claim that I tinted my windows after their inspection.

I know a few people that were failed because of tint, though. Law enforcement around here isn't too bad with tint. Even though Houston is obviously a large city, few Officers actually have tint meters. But legal here is 25% up front.

Good luck.

robpp 05-10-2012 03:20 PM

two posts not worth a lick/

of course its a local thing and hence the title "Will I fail VA....."

that would suggest that he would like someone from VA to let him know/

sheesh.

montgb 05-10-2012 03:32 PM

No, you won't fail inspection.

yellowyak 05-10-2012 03:35 PM

You be fine never had a problem with mine. However I did get a ticket for illegal tint.

JeepMonster 05-10-2012 03:55 PM

What percent are your windows? I opted to go with 30% and I'm hoping cops wouldn't notice/care.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowyak (Post 627624)
You be fine never had a problem with mine. However I did get a ticket for illegal tint.

montgb 05-10-2012 08:13 PM

I've got 25% and have been pulled over once. But usually it's not an issue.

BOYCHIKS 05-10-2012 11:05 PM

No, in VA, to pass inspection your windows don't have to go up; therefore, when going in, have your windows down.

But I doubt they would reject you or even have a meter to check them.