Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Improving quality claimed by WSJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/improving-quality-claimed-by-wsj-41933.html)

Lingohocken 05-10-2012 12:56 AM

Improving quality claimed by WSJ
 
If this piece in the Wall Street Journal is to be believed, QA is going great guns at Chrysler. Problem is, do we see this in the real world with Grand Cherokees? Fifteen months and they have yet to fix the satellite presets disappearance issue with the 730N, folks complain of body panel misalignment, and if they are fixing panel lights that are too bright on Dodges and Chryslers, then why is the headlight indicator still too bright on the WK2 for two years in a trot?

Hopefully the article reflects reality, but one has to wonder.:rolleyes:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...E_Video_second

sined240 05-10-2012 06:10 AM

Re: Improving quality claimed by WSJ
 
Add to that a panoramic sunroof rattle and a front passenger side door sill trim that is not seated correctly.

dizz1979 05-10-2012 07:50 AM

Re: Improving quality claimed by WSJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sined240 (Post 627377)
Add to that a panoramic sunroof rattle and a front passenger side door sill trim that is not seated correctly.

One reason why I ordered mine without the panoramic sun roof and went with regular sunroof. You are asking for trouble in the future.

sined240 05-10-2012 08:00 AM

Re: Improving quality claimed by WSJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizz1979 (Post 627401)
One reason why I ordered mine without the panoramic sun roof and went with regular sunroof. You are asking for trouble in the future.

If I had that thinking, I would never be able to have more expensive cars with more technology.

bromhead 05-10-2012 08:39 AM

Re: Improving quality claimed by WSJ
 
I must be an outlier!
Several issues inside 600 or so miles, car being bought back because of problems with ql.... But sun roof doesn't rattle and I do thing qa has gotten better...just not with my car

moosehead 05-10-2012 09:00 AM

Re: Improving quality claimed by WSJ
 
Thanks Lingo, same article made the WSJ Marketplace cover today. The tone seems to both acknowledge major QA improvements while still citing past Chrco quality challenges.

While I generally rate my WK2 a 9 on a scale of 1-10, there are enough members who have had enough problems to keep me looking over my shoulder, rightly or wrongly. Chrco certainly raised the bar here, and expectations along with it.

I remain optimistic they will keep pressing improvements.

As an aside, we rented a C300 this past week and drove it hard for some 400 miles, it was impressive (the 8" infotainment unit was noticeably improved over our antiquated decks).

KILOFINAL 05-10-2012 09:20 AM

Re: Improving quality claimed by WSJ
 
QC has to be improved. There are just too many issues with "year 2" vehicles. I would think that by now they would have ironed out the big issues related to engine/door panel allignment etc.

They are cranking up production and raising prices yet I fear QC may not be where it needs to be. Great vehicle and I will purchase one, I just wish they put more focus on QC.

ColoradoJeep 05-10-2012 09:48 AM

Re: Improving quality claimed by WSJ
 
Love the part in WSJ article that states: "The new Chrysler is outfitting all of its assembly plants with "metrology centers," clean zones within the factory that employ about 30 people who scan and measure components and complete vehicle bodies. They use a multimillion-dollar machine known as the Meisterbock gauge that laser-scans the entire surface of the vehicle for defects as small as a few millimeters. Reported defects trigger adjustments at the plant or with the supplier."

padgett 05-10-2012 02:08 PM

Re: Improving quality claimed by WSJ
 
Headlamp indicator is no problem, it is hidden by the steering wheel. Of course the glare on a bright day hides the dark needles so nothing is visible but that is a different issue & "not a bug but a feature".

Lingohocken 05-10-2012 02:15 PM

Re: Improving quality claimed by WSJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoJeep (Post 627445)
Love the part in WSJ article that states: "The new Chrysler is outfitting all of its assembly plants with "metrology centers," clean zones within the factory that employ about 30 people who scan and measure components and complete vehicle bodies. They use a multimillion-dollar machine known as the Meisterbock gauge that laser-scans the entire surface of the vehicle for defects as small as a few millimeters. Reported defects trigger adjustments at the plant or with the supplier."

Horsefeathers. One door on our Overland is off by ~7 mm (several, not a few) and because the body is slightly racked it essentially can't be fixed. This is a 2012, so after a year their ultragauge should have prevented this both by notifying suppliers/engineers in late 2010, and also by notifying the line during production to fix this particular vehicle before sending it out. Neither appears to have happened.

QA has definitely improved. But why mess up a perfectly good story by making it out to be more than it really is?

redsoxx1918 05-10-2012 02:29 PM

Re: Improving quality claimed by WSJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizz1979 (Post 627401)
One reason why I ordered mine without the panoramic sun roof and went with regular sunroof. You are asking for trouble in the future.


What? Makes no sense. You missed out on one of the best options. It really opens up the inside. Sometimes, regular sunroofs have problems too.

redsoxx1918 05-10-2012 02:35 PM

Re: Improving quality claimed by WSJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KILOFINAL (Post 627437)
QC has to be improved. There are just too many issues with "year 2" vehicles. I would think that by now they would have ironed out the big issues related to engine/door panel allignment etc.

They are cranking up production and raising prices yet I fear QC may not be where it needs to be. Great vehicle and I will purchase one, I just wish they put more focus on QC.

Again....this comment makes no sense. ALL brands of autos have a certain percentage of their cars that end up with some issues. I've had 4 BMW's. Some were trouble free, some were not. My last BMW, a 2008 BMW 328xi coupe had to have the heads replaced at 8000 miles. I also had to replace two adaptive xenon headlamps, a tail lamp, suspension bushings and the stereo amplifier. My wife's 3 series has 50,000 miles on it and has had many small issues. I guess you're waiting for BMW to learn how to make cars, then you'll buy one.

I have had a Wrangler and now my Grand Cherokee......both have been trouble free.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community