Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Rear windows and wind buffeting... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/rear-windows-and-wind-buffeting-41934.html)

Mark Paul 05-10-2012 05:30 AM

Rear windows and wind buffeting...

Try this for yourself and let me know what your experience...

Driving alone on the freeway on a sunny day (today) in my Summit when I decided to lower both rear windows to let some air in (front windows and sunroof closed). IMMEDIATELY, major wind buffeting started in the vehicle. The passengers side seat started to vibrate at the headrest. The music paying through the stereo ossilated in volume. :mad: Repeated this several times. It only happens when the rear windows are rolled down together and everything else is closed up.

Please try this and let me know your experience. Thanks.

bmrisko 05-10-2012 05:58 AM

Re: Rear windows and wind buffeting...

So what is the big deal...just don't roll down both rear windows at the same time. Obviously, I don't think anyone's WK2 is going to be immune to this (no matter if it is a Summit or Laredo). After all, they all have the same aerodynamics, which really determines how the air flows around and into the vehicle when windows are open. A lot of cars do this b/c that moving air has got to go somewhere to go once it enters the vehicle. Just crack your front windows or vent the sunroof to break it up some.

mikebb 05-10-2012 06:29 AM

Yeah, I noticed this one day when I rolled down the rear windows before I lowered the drivers side.

All the cars I've owned (with 4 windows) have done this to some extent, but the GC is by far the worst. Always remember to at least crack the front window first...

Justal13 05-10-2012 04:46 PM

It is so common, it is specifically mentioned in the owner's manual. Very common for all vehicles, not unique to the GC.

Jdsmitty10 05-10-2012 09:34 PM

No offense but I hate seeing rear windows only opened hahah. It annoys me as bad as top down with windows up on a convertible hahah. Not gonna try it cause my fronts will be open and my roof will definatley be open

Snipe315 05-11-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebb (Post 627380)
All the cars I've owned (with 4 windows) have done this to some extent, but the GC is by far the worst. Always remember to at least crack the front window first...

+1

I had a Toyota Corolla that did the same thing. In fact I think it was worse than my WK2. :eek:

When I open only my sunroof, I get a moderate vibration around 40 - 45Mph.

Its an aerodynamic thing.

hammer1234 05-11-2012 08:02 AM

All of my vehicles do this...not sure if the GC is any better or worse because I usually don't just open the rear windows.

AAAA 05-11-2012 04:08 PM

Yep. I did it once for a reason I do not remember.

fljeepleo 05-12-2012 07:26 AM

My old F150 would blow your ear drums out if you just rolled down the rear windows. Its common I guess. It just sucks when you are on a road trip and someone hits the button on accident and the other occupants IE children are sleeping. Let the screaming begin!

smkelly73 05-12-2012 09:09 AM

It's an aerodynamic thing. As it was explained to me, the air entering the vehicle through the open windows has to displace the air already in the vehicle through the same open windows, so there's an in-out thing going on.
The same thing can happen when the sunroof is open, which is why there's the pop-up panel at the front of the sunroof. The pop-up panel changes the airflow (creates a vortex or something like that) to allow air in and out of the open sunroof at the same time, preventing buffeting.
If you want to experiment with it, just reach up and pull that pop-up panel all the way down when your sunroof is open at speed. Same effect.
Of course, be careful when and where you try that since you're taking a hand off the wheel.
As someone noted above, this isn't Jeep-specific. It's happened on every four-door vehicle I've owned.