Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Jasper engines???? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/jasper-engines-41944.html)

Z28jeep 05-10-2012 08:45 AM

Jasper engines????

My wife's Envoy engine just took a crap. Dealership says needs new engine. Has anyone had any experience with a Jasper engine, thats what the dealership wants to replace it with. Im not too familiar with this engine rebuilder. Thanks

4.whoa 05-10-2012 01:56 PM

Re: Jasper engines????

While i've never had one, they are pretty well known. it sounds odd ( to me anyway) that a dealer would use an engine from someone else. I take it this is not a warranty thing ?

Z28jeep 05-10-2012 02:58 PM

right its not warranty. This is GM dealer. They use rebuilt Jasper engines. Jasper sells only to licensed dealers or repair shops. Its cheaper than brand new engine

remmy 05-10-2012 11:45 PM

What the extent of damage? I wonder if it would be cheaper to have the motor rebuilt. Ive also heard of Jasper and apparently they arent bad.

Z28jeep 05-11-2012 06:55 AM

Lost oil pressure some how and spun the bearings, now it has a knock to it. Just changed the oil the day before. Still can't figure out why it lost oil press

Antonio186 05-11-2012 07:30 AM

sounds like the motor you have can be salvaged not sure how much the repair will cost though, if it just lost oild pressure its a good possibilty the oil pump took a dump. and the bearings can be replaced but it will require the bottom of the motor to be torn apart.

so you would want to take the oil pan out remove the oil pump then remove each of the connecting rod caps and remove the crank shaft then remove the bad bearings and replace the bad bearings and pre grease the new bearings and then re assemble and replace the oil pump if in fact that is was caused the loss of oil pressure. and you should be good to go. if you do the job your self it should cost much but time and effort. if you have someone else do it like the dealer or another garage then it might cost a bit for labor.

06RC22 05-11-2012 08:29 AM

I had a head gasket blow on my 06 3.7L, which then caused other ensuing damages... however, I replaced it with a Jasper 3.7, and it has been great (knock on wood). The warranty is 3 year 100k miles, and the only thing I had go wrong was my valve springs were bad. They replaced them with higher quality valve springs and it didnt cost me a dime.

I would recommend them if you go down that route.

JRNYC 06-06-2012 12:43 PM

You cant go wrong with Jasper. Great stuff. Great support.

jeepster23 06-06-2012 04:19 PM

Jasper engine ran longer than the original in my old 97 GC.