Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Painted engine cover (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/painted-engine-cover-41969.html)

phisch 05-10-2012 09:37 PM

Painted engine cover

Decided to paint the center section of my engine cover with Inferno Red. Got a rattle can from automotivetouchup.com, turned out pretty good, I think. This is actually a heat test to see if the base coat holds up. If so, it's going on the calipers this summer. I haven't decided if I'm going to paint the HEMI letters, or add anything to the 5.7 V8. We'll see how this holds up. Check it out...

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...h/806f7949.jpg

five.7 Hemi 05-10-2012 10:10 PM

Re: Painted engine cover

That does look good.

BF07 05-10-2012 10:36 PM

It does look good, but on the other hand it looks like it's missing something.

Do you think you could color match the HEMI and 5.7 L V8 colors to each other? If so, that's the route I would go.

phisch 05-10-2012 10:40 PM

I found some website that makes vinyl decals for the raised letters. I might get some silver stickers for the center section if the paint holds up against the furnace below. Either that, or I could use a fine paint brush and outline the 5.7 V8 with black paint, which might look cool.

Dollar 05-11-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisch (Post 627808)
This is actually a heat test to see if the base coat holds up. If so, it's going on the calipers this summer.

Why don't you just use caliper paint? I know Dupli Color sells a kit and is available at Autozone, Pep Boys, OReilley, etc.

phisch 05-11-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollar (Post 627871)
Why don't you just use caliper paint? I know Dupli Color sells a kit and is available at Autozone, Pep Boys, OReilley, etc.

Because the red doesn't match.

Jeep_addicted 05-11-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisch (Post 627808)
Decided to paint the center section of my engine cover with Inferno Red. Got a rattle can from automotivetouchup.com, turned out pretty good, I think. This is actually a heat test to see if the base coat holds up. If so, it's going on the calipers this summer. I haven't decided if I'm going to paint the HEMI letters, or add anything to the 5.7 V8. We'll see how this holds up. Check it out...

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...h/806f7949.jpg

Phisch

If you want the calipers matching in INFERNO RED you should not have an issues using the touch up paint.

Most paints can withstand high heat it is open flame and other solvents that do more damage than gradual heat.

I don't really endorse the use of any Clear coats that come in spray can because they usually turn yellow after two years.

You have a few option if you really want inferno read calipers

Option 1. Use the touch up paint base coat and use a rattle can clear coat.

Option 2. Go into a Automotive paint store and order Pint/quart of INFERNO red in a single stage gloss then you can brush it on without worrying about over spray.

*The key to a good paint job is cleaning and prepping the surface*

Also the poster above did mention that you could user VHT/Duplicolor engine/brake caliper paint also ( All the SRT8 Grand Cherokees have red brembos and they don't look bad)

Rocky31186 05-11-2012 11:16 AM

Did you not remove it?? Your whole engine bay has red paint on it now..

phisch 05-11-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky31186 (Post 628050)

Seriously? OMG it made my motorcycle red, too.
The engine bay is just dirty, illuminated with an iPhone flash. If this is sarcasm, you forgot the smiley face...

Jeep_addicted: Yes, I plan on purchasing a pint of inferno red, and using a fine brush or one of those small cheap foam-tip brushes to apply paint to the calipers. Would you recommend brushing on a primer first, or red paint straight to metal? I'll probably use some isopropanol to wipe down the caliper metal before application.

Yadkin 05-11-2012 03:18 PM

Looks good. I was thinking of doing mine, but my Jeep's silver, same as the lettering. I'll be interested to see how well yours holds up.

Can you use a low nap roller to paint the raised lettering?

fljeepleo 05-13-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky31186 (Post 628050)

Weird!

Jeep_addicted 05-21-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisch (Post 628162)
Seriously? OMG it made my motorcycle red, too.
The engine bay is just dirty, illuminated with an iPhone flash. If this is sarcasm, you forgot the smiley face...

Jeep_addicted: Yes, I plan on purchasing a pint of inferno red, and using a fine brush or one of those small cheap foam-tip brushes to apply paint to the calipers. Would you recommend brushing on a primer first, or red paint straight to metal? I'll probably use some isopropanol to wipe down the caliper metal before application.

You can get away without using primer, Even when I use the engine paint in the spray can I have never used primer.

Like all painters will tell you the key to a good looking paint job is surface prep.

I have never tried those foam brushes, but you can't go wrong with a good quality brush between a .5 to 1.5 inches wide.

I am DIYer and I do everything in my driveway and have experimented with many products over the year.

Make sure you wash the calipers down pretty well them make sure you dry them off and get out all the water. (simple green works well as a degreaser)

I don't waste money on prep wipes I suggest you either invent in a gallon of prep solvent or you can get away with wiping the calipers down with some full strength lacquer thinner that will also do the trick.

Make sure to let the paint dry at least 36 hours before your drive the car and post those pictures when you Git R done.