Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Will the CRD reduce hemi/pentastar demand? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/will-the-crd-reduce-hemi-pentastar-demand-41985.html)

suprand 05-11-2012 11:27 AM

Will the CRD reduce hemi/pentastar demand?

With the Diesel JGC set to come out in North America within the next 12 months or so...what do you guys think will happen to Hemi sales even pentastar sales here in the US? Will chrysler price the CRD high enough to where some buyers will opt for the other engines on cost alone? Will hemi loyalists stick with the hemi and not want to deal with diesel engine issues/costs? The diesel really seems to be the best of both worlds...especially for those who cant decide between the fuel economy of the pentastar and the power of the hemi.

Just wondering what you guys think...assuming the north american CRD is going to be as good as we think its gonna be.

gaidin43 05-11-2012 12:16 PM

There was a prime time news broadcast on this the other day.

Basically saying the US exports 47% or so of diesel it produces and if the demand for diesel went up it would cause all sorts of issues with shipping costs going up by being reflected by the increase in price a the pump for trucks.

I grew up with a 6.0L GMC diesel and loved the thing. It was loud, powerful, and went forever between full ups.

The diesels of today you can chip and boost in so many ways. It is the direction we need to go in but the side effects will take a bit to work through.

SixZeroFour 05-11-2012 12:33 PM

Re: Will the CRD reduce hemi/pentastar demand?

I'm a big fan of a diesel GC but there is no way it will take a substantial bite out of pentastar and hemi sales.

It's all about perception. Many N. Americans are still in the mindset that diesels are black smoke spewing polluters like the VW's from years ago. Even with advancments in clean diesel technology they still have a long way to go before it is mainstream like it is in Europe.

moosehead 05-11-2012 12:37 PM

I would think it will do both: cannibalize Hemi/Pentastar sales, and also bring in new customers who would not buy a Jeep JGC without the CRD.

For me personally, the jury is still out on reliability and whether it is worth the price premium (equipment and US diesel fuel costs). The premise is attractive, and seeing other CRD members here with positive experience has gotta make you think about it.

Yadkin 05-11-2012 12:40 PM

I'd have to see it/ drive it before forming an opinion either way. And I'd probably wait at least two model years before pulling the trigger on one. My neighbor had an F150 with a new clean diesel and the fuel mileage was terrible for him. I don't know if he got a lemon or what.

padgett 05-11-2012 01:00 PM

I'd need to consider the whole package. If the CRD had been available when I bought my '12, it would have been a no braner, my 1986 RV has a BMW turbo diesel and it does everything I want.

Now having the flex-fuel V6 provides yet another option (things grow in Florida that are excellent for producing ethanol, much more efficient than corn).

OTOH if it comes with legible instruments and a service manual...

That said I suspect there is more of a demand for diesels among the VW people than would be expected, some would trade up but many would be new captures. Of course it all depends on how it is marketed and the premium charged.