Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   GOt a message stating keyfob battery is low. Already?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/got-a-message-stating-keyfob-battery-is-low-already-41990.html)

JTS97Z28 05-11-2012 12:55 PM

GOt a message stating keyfob battery is low. Already??

I did a search and came up with a lot of info about the key fobs, but nothing regarding getting an EVIC message stating fob battery is low, and especially not at 2000 miles.

So, does anyone have some sort of explanation as to why im being told the fob batter is low on my 2 month old Jeep with 2,000 miles? No other issues whatsoever. Please tell me I dont have to replace fob batteries every 2 months. Never had to with other cars of mine that has keyless access and push start.

Thanks,
James

mwhited 05-11-2012 07:12 PM

Re: GOt a message stating keyfob battery is low. Already??

James -

It's possible the keys are packed in the owners manual pack (assuming we recevied manuals) and a button may have been pushed and drained the battery. Hearing all the horror stories about the keyless entry, I replaced both fobs batteries when we took delivery. It uses CR2032 and they are cheap. Our Jeep is a year old and I'll replace them again, just for good measure.

Mike

nek121328 05-11-2012 07:40 PM

Replaced my key FOB battery this week. No problem now opening the doors or with key recognition when starting the GC.

RageOfFury 05-11-2012 08:16 PM

I've had mine for 14 months now and I have yet to replace the battery. Thinking it's probably time I do lol

JTS97Z28 05-11-2012 09:31 PM

So the next time I drove the car I did not get the message.aube it was just a fluke we will see. Either way low battery is not a big deal anyway.

JTS97Z28 05-11-2012 11:04 PM

Ok so I never got the low fob battery message again, but after I got home from work and parked the Jeep in the garage my rear glass popped open on its own. I thought thats weird considering I dont think you can even do that from the fob. So I close it and a couple minutes later it does it again. WTF. So I removed the battery from my original fob and am using the spare thats been sitting in my junk drawer. We will see what happens. I wonder if the battery really was low and maybe that can trigger the Jeep to do really weird things?
Anyone else experience things like this?

James

UPDATE: Well so far since removing the battery from my original fob the rear hatch has not automatically popped. So hopefully its nothing more than a weak battery in the fob. I will keep my fingers crossed.

lkvanbelle 05-12-2012 06:55 AM

2011 JGC 18500 on it, one fob has had three batteries already. dealer not much help after the second replacement at 12K they said I was on my own. other fob no problem go figger

Yadkin 05-12-2012 07:37 AM

It's a transmitter, so it uses battery power. The more powerful (longer range) the transmitter, the more battery power it uses. Since the range for the remote start is 300', that's a lot more power than the typical door opener fob. So if you use that function a lot, expect to replace the battery a lot more often.

AAAA 05-12-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 628303)
I've had mine for 14 months now and I have yet to replace the battery. Thinking it's probably time I do lol

Same here. Have spares in glove compartment.

ColinIllinois 05-12-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 628480)
Same here. Have spares in glove compartment.

That's a good idea.

Thanks.

JTS97Z28 05-12-2012 11:46 AM

So far no issues after replacing the battery on that fob. Its weird that it was low already considering I rarely even touch my key fob, but either way as long as nothings wrong with the car im fine with it.

josh3008 05-12-2012 08:29 PM

Being a new car you don't know how long the battery has been in the remote for, perhaps it was installed 2 years ago and sitting in Jefferson awaiting a car to mate with. and it was on a boat for a few months before that, only real way to tell is to record when you changed the battery out and go from there.