Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Exterior trim Detailing / Cleaning (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/exterior-trim-detailing-cleaning-42009.html)

SixZeroFour 05-11-2012 05:34 PM

Exterior trim Detailing / Cleaning

Thought I would pass this along for anyone else having trouble getting old wax etc off the exterior trim which is quite porous.

AutoGlym Bumper & Trim Gel
http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product...6VQ=EM&Range=1

I've tried 303 Aerospace, Back to Black, you name it but none would seem to completely get rid of the white'ish stains on the trim. The AutoGlym Gel actually states "Ideal for removing dried on polish stains." as the first line on the back of the bottle and it worked great. Nice black finish but not too greasy.

Give it a shot :thumbsup:

Jeep_addicted 05-13-2012 10:39 AM

Re: Exterior trim Detailing / Cleaning

Thanks for the tip..

I had got some Wolfgang paint sealant get on my fender flares I tried several things to get it off and finally the "Mr. Clean magic eraser removed the white marks..

The magic eraser also does a great job of getting out marks from the scuff plates and lower door panels

bmrisko 05-13-2012 11:34 AM

Do you guys not tape up your trim before polishing?

I agree that a wet magic eraser also works very well. Another trick is to treat your trim before you wax the vehicle. However, anything more than wax and I tape up my trim.

fljeepleo 05-13-2012 12:08 PM

I use mothers back to black on the trim, I've heard alot of good things about that Mr. Clean magic eraser for auto detailing. I might have to have the wife pick on of those up.

AAAA 05-13-2012 12:43 PM

What? You never drive by a grocery store?

fljeepleo 05-13-2012 01:54 PM

I do, but the wife is the grocery shopper. Not trying to sound sexist, its just something she likes to do. Geesh, tough crowd.

SixZeroFour 05-13-2012 02:22 PM

Magic Eraser is a great idea! Always have one handy around the house but never thought to try it on the Jeep. The AutoGlym gel looks like snot but has a nice mint smell to it and both cleans and dresses in one shot which is a plus.

I do normally mask off the trim but some got behind the tape and left a slight stain.

Sh4dyBuddha 05-14-2012 05:46 PM

Good to know. Have an M3 with black door trim that looks like hell after a wax job. Back to black works kinda, but I have been looking for something better for years. Thank you all

SW03ES 05-14-2012 06:31 PM

The only issue with the Magic Eraser is that the cleaning solution thats imbedded in it is *very* harsh. I would only use them as a last resort because they can discolor dark trim.

BuckeyeSRT 05-15-2012 06:24 AM

Use creamy peanut butter and a tooth brush on old wax on the black trim. Much cheeper and works like a charm

ColinIllinois 05-15-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 628902)

I agree that a wet magic eraser also works very well. Another trick is to treat your trim before you wax the vehicle. However, anything more than wax and I tape up my trim.

The best trick is to ensure you use polishing and waxing products that state they don't stain black trim. :D

Jeep_addicted 05-21-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 628902)

Yeah I used tape around the fender I only used it close to the body so some of the flare was left exposed. Then when I removed the tape you could see the difference of what was covered and what was not. I normally use the 3" machine on the fenders but was lazy and used the 6" and did not know it has so much coverage because I was not even close to the flares

Well lesson learned; make sure you tape them up all the way not half way.