Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   traction control when turning (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/traction-control-when-turning-42011.html)

DGoral31 05-11-2012 05:49 PM

traction control when turning

Hey guys, so lately ive been having an issue with my traction control turning on and cutting my power when i make U turns or hard left/right turns.

I have been putting off taking it to Jeep but i need to do it soon if i want to take it off road. But i want to have an idea of what it might be before taking it in.

any thoughts?

thanks!

Dave

Verminator 05-11-2012 08:04 PM

Re: traction control when turning

I've been having the same problem. Subscribed.

I took mine into a local shop, not the dealer, and they just blamed my lift and tires and called it a day.

2005JGC 05-11-2012 10:09 PM

Large tires are actually a VERY common problem for this thus the reason they make an EGR (electronic geometry recalibration) module for use with larger tires... What shape are your tires in? When I had a tire slashed and schwab replaced the one tire there was about 2/32nds difference from the other 3 tires and it would activate traction control randomly while cornering on the freeway and sharp turns in parking lots.

Verminator 05-12-2012 02:06 AM

I've got brand new rubber on all 4 for mine.

DGoral31 05-12-2012 10:22 AM

Yep I've got brand new tires too...

DGoral31 05-12-2012 10:23 AM

Is there any way to fix this issue with the egr?

2005JGC 05-12-2012 04:28 PM

I have had no issues with mine with 32's

I know I have seen on a 300c the rear hub nut comes loose and intermittantly the axle walks out of the hub and far enough from the sensor that it looses its signal... I would not just throw an egr at it, you may be looking at a failing sensor, a chaffed wire that is shorting out when you turn a direction. Typically it will throw a code if it straight up looses a signal. I would give it a good inspection and possibly take it to a dealer or shop that can pull these codes and see if they can find anything. you may just be dealing with a bad wheel speed sensor.

jeepgcoman 05-12-2012 06:43 PM

Not sure, but wasn't there a TSB on this problem, either on the LX's or WK's?? Don't remember!!

DGoral31 05-12-2012 11:05 PM

Hmmm might be stuck taking this thing to the stealership. :mad:

Verminator 05-12-2012 11:53 PM

So I put in the Addco rear sway today and so far the issue with the ESP/ABS kicking in has reduced. I haven't fully tested it yet, but I think the reduction in understeer helps prevent the ABS from kicking in so soon.

DGoral31 05-13-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verminator (Post 628744)
So I put in the Addco rear sway today and so far the issue with the ESP/ABS kicking in has reduced. I haven't fully tested it yet, but I think the reduction in understeer helps prevent the ABS from kicking in so soon.

hmmm what did this sway bar do for you? where did you get the idea to change it and why do you think it would help the issue at hand?

man if all we need to do is change out the sway bars that would be awesome, but i dont see how the REAR swaybars have anything to do with the FRONT end :confused:

Verminator 05-13-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGoral31 (Post 628779)
hmmm what did this sway bar do for you? where did you get the idea to change it and why do you think it would help the issue at hand?

man if all we need to do is change out the sway bars that would be awesome, but i dont see how the REAR swaybars have anything to do with the FRONT end :confused:

well i did some more driving around today and the ESP/ABS issue is still there, so I guess the sway bar didn't help as much as I originally thought.

My guess was that with the lift and larger tires, the center of gravity gets raised enough that it affects the handling of the car. More weight shifts to the outer tires under hard cornering and creates more understeer. The ESP senses this understeer as a loss of traction and tries to correct it. I was hoping adding the sway bar would help reduce the understeer enough that the esp wouldn't kick in.

I'll have to do a little more driving around to really see how much it did or didn't help.