Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Question about black leather seats (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/question-about-black-leather-seats-42031.html)

LightningRod 05-12-2012 07:29 AM

Question about black leather seats

Hi all:
Looking to become a WK2 owner I thought I'd get some input here regarding the leather seats. I'm hoping to get one with the lighter color (Gray in Laredo X or Frost in Limited) but looking at all the inventory out there... it seems that most came with black leather.

I'm wondering --- how do the black leather seats fare in hot summer sun?

I like the look, just not so sure I'll like it when it gets over 90 or 100 and the car has been parking under the sun for a few hours...

Thanks for all opinions!:thumbsup:

Jdsmitty10 05-12-2012 07:57 AM

Re: Question about black leather seats

I have 2 cars with black leather because I dislike any other color.. My jeep has cooled seats so no problem there. My other car has perforated leather but they do get pretty hot on hot days

ColinIllinois 05-12-2012 10:17 AM

To be honest when it's 90-100 degrees out there any color leather seat is gonna be hot. I really like the black leather in my JGCO, very classy looking. I haven't had mine for a summer season yet but Im looking forward to seeing how the ventilated seats help out.

ColoradoJeep 05-12-2012 10:17 AM

After having 6 out of 7 previous GCs with black and gray interiors, I said "No More" and got a Limited with the light frost leather. Great interior, and the light color makes the interior seem much more spacious ... and much cooler as we have already had some sunny 85+ degree days here in Colorado.

Overland_Mom 05-12-2012 10:41 AM

I have a JGCO with black interior and it has cooled seats so no worry for the hot days. So if the seats getting hot is a concern go for the cooled seats.

ColdCase 05-12-2012 11:15 AM

Not much difference in seat temperature with color. I have black and the interior does seem to get hotter and quicker that my buddies grey. If the seats are hit by sunlight, any of the leather seats will get hot, and they are cold in the winter. The seat coolers (a fan) and warmers (a heating element) are becoming popular with leather. And remote start to cool or warm the jeep (and front seats) before getting in. The black will get just a bit warmer, but nothing like how hot they would get in a convertible with the top down. Cloth seats are much more comfy. Throw a towel on a burning hot seat before getting in.

JeepMonster 05-12-2012 12:53 PM

I have the black leather seats and find that they don't get too hot. I'll use the remote start though to cool the GC off a little before I get in.

Scottina06 05-12-2012 02:04 PM

I have black leather and black interior and it doesnt get hot at all

Jeep_addicted 05-13-2012 10:51 AM

Get what ever color interior you prefer.

I live on a Caribbean island where the days averarge 85F or higher.
What I have realized is get tinted windows at least 35% and make sure you put up a sun shade in the windshield shade whenever parked in the sun and your interior will be liveable whether you use your A/C or not while driving

LightningRod 05-13-2012 11:22 AM

Yes, I think tinted front windows are definitely in order whichever color I end up getting.
Thank you all for the input! :)

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-13-2012 07:24 PM

My black leather isnt that bad. I used to have gray and dont notice a difference

SRTgirl 05-13-2012 07:40 PM

I live in SWFL, which for most of the year is about the same as living on the surface of the sun. Both vehicles have blk interior, one also has blk ext, never had a problem. Both rides are reasonably dark tint, but in hot weather I would do that with any color in or out. I could never own a light int car, to much work to keep clean with kids/pets etc. :)