Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Oil change indicator (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/oil-change-indicator-42034.html)

neilattack 05-12-2012 09:32 AM

Oil change indicator

A few weeks ago, I took my Jeep in for the first oil change at 2,500 miles. I wanted to switch over to synthetic so brought it in a bit early. I had my free voucher to get it changed, so I figured why not.

Fast forward to yesterday and I just crossed over the 3,500 mile mark and I get the oil change notification. Could it be possible that my oil wasn't actually changed at the dealership? Wouldn't they have reset the indicator or am I just reading into it too much and should just reset it myself?

Wanted to see if this happened to anyone else who got an early oil change.

rosado057 05-12-2012 10:38 AM

It happened to me but if it's not on your display they won't reset it. I just went back to the dealer and they reset it for me. I believe its every 7500 miles for the message to pop up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColdCase 05-12-2012 11:47 AM

Re: Oil change indicator

They did not reset the indicator, after the change you should see another indicator at 2500+ 3500-8000 miles depending on how you drive (6000 to 10500 on the odo).

You can reset the indicator yourself by turning to the acc position and slowly pumping the gas pedal to the floor three times. Someone will pipe in with more details, or you can search, its been discussed often enough. Instructions may also be in the manual.

Justal13 05-12-2012 06:06 PM

My dealer told me the EVIC was set for the first oil change at 3500 miles and mine went off at 3500.0 on the dot. Several other members have mentioned theirs went off at 3500 miles as well.

I would say somebody forgot to reset the oil change reminder. So reset it now yourself and mention it to the dealer when you take it in next time. This is why I always do the reset myself immediately upon picking up my vehicles after an oil change. Even more important on the GC, since you have no way of telling whether it was actually reset (my other vehicles - Ford and GM - show 100% after reset and count down to 0%, so you can check at any time).

A big glaring miss on Chrysler's design, if you ask me. You should be able to check for the status of your oil change at any time.

ColdCase 05-12-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justal13 (Post 628644)
My dealer told me the EVIC was set for the first oil change at 3500 miles and mine went off at 3500.0 on the dot. Several other members have mentioned theirs went off at 3500 miles as well.

The dealer may be able to set it, but it does not come from the factory like that. Mine went off the first time at 8000 miles. The dealer offered to fix it to go off at 3000 miles regardless, I politely turned to offer down. The second time it went off it had about 16500 miles on the clock as I was 500 miles late for the first oil change (about a week of driving for me).

neilattack 05-13-2012 12:14 PM

Thanks everyone!