Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   JEEP Engineers suck! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/jeep-engineers-suck-42049.html)

IRISH 05-12-2012 03:13 PM

JEEP Engineers suck!

So I was upset that my new Overland did not have a matching spare tire. So I go out and get a matching 20" Polished wheel and Goodyear tire since I rotate all 5 tires.

I just installed that new wheel and tire in the well to discover that it is too wide to close the cover down, the spare tire well is too shallow.

Thanks Jeep :mad:

Scottina06 05-12-2012 03:14 PM

Re: JEEP Engineers suck!

its made for an 18" spare

IRISH 05-12-2012 03:26 PM

Just put the spare in shiny side up and it works, seems to be a raised section in the centre that hits the wheel spokes, I may use the hammer and level the floor since I only need to go down .5" for it to work.

The engineers are out to lunch, because when you need to use your spare the Jeeps wheel won't fit in while going to the garage with your flat tire. Idiots!

SMG1 05-12-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISH (Post 628600)
I may use the hammer and level the floor since I only need to go down .5" for it to work.

The engineers are out to lunch, because when you need to use your spare the Jeeps wheel won't fit in while going to the garage with your flat tire. Idiots!

For the sake of the person who buys your Jeep pre-owned, pleased don't do that. And like you said, the 20" wheel/tire gets in there well enough to get you to the garage so I don't really see what the big issue is.

drdobsg 05-12-2012 03:46 PM

Too bad you didn't check this forum first. There are a few posts that talk about how the 20" rim is too wide to fit.

ColdCase 05-12-2012 04:13 PM

^^^ :) oh its not only Jeep, for some manufactures, the spare is optional and others don't provide room at all. Seems like the only place you can actually have a full size spare and have room for it is a truck, and we all know the WK2 is not a truck any more.

bmrisko 05-12-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISH (Post 628600)
Just put the spare in shiny side up and it works, seems to be a raised section in the centre that hits the wheel spokes, I may use the hammer and level the floor since I only need to go down .5" for it to work.

You just said the 20" wheel fits shiny side up? :slapfight:

KILOFINAL 05-12-2012 05:00 PM

Well, I'd like to say thank you to the engineers at Chrysler/Jeep for making such an awesome product. Hopefully, the current ongoing issues can be resolved quickly.

padgett 05-12-2012 05:06 PM

84-88 Fiero was the same way - no room in the boot for anything but a space saver. Up to a 185 could go in the trunk, anything bigger had to go in the passenger seat. Many just carried a Fix-A-Flat. Now if I could just see the needles.

SW03ES 05-12-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISH (Post 628593)
So I was upset that my new Overland did not have a matching spare tire. So I go out and get a matching 20" Polished wheel and Goodyear tire since I rotate all 5 tires.

I just installed that new wheel and tire in the well to discover that it is too wide to close the cover down, the spare tire well is too shallow.

Thanks Jeep :mad:

Why do the engineers suck? Because they didn't design the wheel well for a spare tire option they weren't going to offer?

I've had LOTS of cars where the actual wheel/tire won't fit in the spare tire well. Just put it in the back, its only going to be there a little while...

armoredsaint 05-12-2012 05:57 PM

OP maybe you'll be happier with a Honda Odyssey :lol:

GTREVINOWK2 05-12-2012 06:01 PM

This is by far one of the better engineered vehicles i have owned! Powertrain, vehicle dynamics, creature comfort and equipment make this an awesome vehicle... Maybe this tread should not even exist! Hooorraaay for the jeepnguys!