Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   430 RHB Map Updates (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/430-rhb-map-updates-42096.html)

Mashie 05-13-2012 03:14 PM

430 RHB Map Updates

I got a message today that it has been over a year since I updated my the maps on my '11 JGC and to go to www.garmin.com/chrysler to see if there are any new updates.

It loolks like there are updated maps but for $149. Has anyone done this and was the result/newer maps and POI worth it?

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...thAmerica-Site

Thanks
Mashie

AAAA 05-14-2012 10:40 AM

Re: 430 RHB Map Updates

I did not do it. Too much money.

Mashie 05-14-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justal13 (Post 629294)
I would not bother, and definitely not for the price. I have a portable Garmin with lifetime maps update (usually update it 2X per year or so), and when I have an issue with the maps on my 2012 GC (Sept 2011 build but has latest maps available for 430N), I usually see the same error/mistake. Garmin maps are usually 2-3 years out of date when issues IMHO.

I will wait another year or so myself. If you try it, let us know how it works out for you. Best luck.

Thanks guys, I went ahead and ordered it and will report back here after the install. I am unhappy about the price but figured what the hell...

ColdCase 05-14-2012 06:25 PM

Yeah price seems out of whack as you can buy a lifetime map subscription for Garmin portables for like $60. I guess the markup associated with making up a CD, etc is significant.

The Navtec USA map database Garmin and others use seem to be about two years out of date.

Cherodude 05-14-2012 09:27 PM

Garmin should grab a clue. At less than $50 I can justify an upgrade avery 2 years or so. At $150, probably never.

gokart508 05-18-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie (Post 629415)
Thanks guys, I went ahead and ordered it and will report back here after the install. I am unhappy about the price but figured what the hell...

Please do report back and let us know what you think...

Mashie 05-21-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gokart508 (Post 631572)
Please do report back and let us know what you think...

I got the disk today, just a normal single DVD. There is a bit of web work needed to get the security code to unlock the software which allows the installation to continue.

Installation took about 1.5 hours. In all honesty, after driving around town, the only difference I have noticed is some additional images of the highway signs as I went from one highway to another. Other then that, I see no difference, better or worse.

I would honestly say, if you have no issues with the maps as they are, there is no need to do this upgrade, not for $149.

IndyBob 05-26-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie (Post 633005)
I got the disk today, just a normal single DVD. There is a bit of web work needed to get the security code to unlock the software which allows the installation to continue.

Installation took about 1.5 hours. In all honesty, after driving around town, the only difference I have noticed is some additional images of the highway signs as I went from one highway to another. Other then that, I see no difference, better or worse.

I would honestly say, if you have no issues with the maps as they are, there is no need to do this upgrade, not for $149.

I bought the update also. I would say that if most of your driving is in your local area where you know the roads, restaurants and fuel stops then the update is not really needed.

If however you travel outside of your local familiar area then the $149 upgrade would be worth it. I don't normally need or use the GPS unless I am traveling then having current updated maps and POI are sure handy.

Tinkan 05-30-2012 07:34 PM

Thanks all... you just saved me $149.00 that I can use for some other mods.:cool:

SW03ES 05-31-2012 04:38 PM

Does anyone know if they publish a list of what was added in what areas online? Toyota/Lexus does this and it's helpful trying to decide if an upgrade is worthwhile or not.

fdnyfish 06-05-2012 03:24 PM

Like adding the POI's via a USB, I wonder if there is a way to over write a new map file via the USB. Assuming one would have a unlocked map file !