Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Remove roof rails (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/remove-roof-rails-42182.html)

aquaanox 05-15-2012 08:42 PM

Remove roof rails

Wondering if anyone has remove the roof rails on their wk2 ?

Wanna dechrome, those things stick out like a sore thumb. Anyone done this yet?

Milous 05-18-2012 04:36 AM

Re: Remove roof rails

1 Attachment(s)
For anyone who does want to remove them, instructions are in the attached file.

JTS97Z28 05-18-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquaanox (Post 630037)
Wondering if anyone has remove the roof rails on their wk2 ?

Wanna dechrome, those things stick out like a sore thumb. Anyone done this yet?

Looks easy enough. Do you plan on installing the SRT8 rails? That could be a good mod for those that want to loose that chrome strip on the roof.

James

Dollar 05-18-2012 02:39 PM

I hate rivnuts. There is always the possibility of the nuts spinning in the body of the roof while trying to remove them. Then you're screwed. I personally would try to mask a large area around the rails and paint them while installed.

Unless enough people here have removed them without rivnut issues.

Edit: Looking over the instructions again, it says to remove the center three fasteners and only mentions rivnuts being in the front and back of the rail. Doesn't mention unscrewing bolts that are screwed into rivnuts. I wonder if those center fasteners are screwed into rivnuts. If so, then I stand by my prior opinion. If they are not secured into rivnuts, then all is ok.

Would like to hear from those that have taken them off.

Jeepdewd 05-18-2012 03:03 PM

Whats under it? anyone have pictures? Will it Leak?

2012 Summit 05-18-2012 03:07 PM

Thanks Jeepdewd, I was about to ask the same thing.

Ernest 05-22-2012 09:48 PM

It's easy enough to remove the rails, including removing the stainless track from the plastic housing when it's off the vehicle. (I had to do this in order to install the Rocky Roads roof rails). With the tracks removed, a powder-coater could lightly sandblast the tracks and powdercoat them black, or a body shop could paint them vehicle color, if desired. To check the effect, I used black radiator hose repair tape on the outer edge of the rails temporarily. It looks much better, and seems to be holding up reasonably well. Will see how long it lasts and then probably have it powdercoated.

John47 05-22-2012 09:54 PM

The rivnuts are under the 3 fasteners and stand proud of the roof. At the front and rear pf the bar is another rivnut locating lug.
Very easy to check out - remove the three dome head torx screws and slide the rail backwards off the locating lugs. Take 5 minutes max.
The torx screws are not overtightened. And it won't leak because the rivnut system seals to the roof.

aquaanox 05-31-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John47 (Post 633477)
The rivnuts are under the 3 fasteners and stand proud of the roof. At the front and rear pf the bar is another rivnut locating lug.
Very easy to check out - remove the three dome head torx screws and slide the rail backwards off the locating lugs. Take 5 minutes max.
The torx screws are not overtightened. And it won't leak because the rivnut system seals to the roof.

interesting. im wondering is it possible to just completely remove it. I really dont even need the rails.

Dopewoolhat 06-07-2012 01:20 AM

If anyone was to remove there roof rails (chrome rails) I would deffinatly be interested in buying them.