Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Has the steering wheel thud returned? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/has-the-steering-wheel-thud-returned-42191.html)

damazeen 05-16-2012 03:30 AM

Has the steering wheel thud returned?

Would members who had the intermediate shaft replaced tell us if that cured the problem completely or has the "thud" feeling returned, especially when braking slow or over small road bumps.

fljeepleo 05-16-2012 07:57 AM

Re: Has the steering wheel thud returned?

Had shaft replaced 8/21/2011, all is well. Seems to have fixed it.

MikeD 05-16-2012 11:51 AM

I no longer own the Jeep but I had the shaft replaced and the thud returned about a month later.

ericwp 05-16-2012 02:49 PM

I have the thud, thunk, clunk, all without sound. I noticed it about a 2weeks after I got it. At first I thought it was me. It seems to have gotten a little worse since then.
Build date 11/11, purchased 1/9/2012 and 893 miles on the odo.
It definately is there.
Going to call the dealer when I get around to it, it's not an issue but it is annoying.

fljeepleo 05-16-2012 06:41 PM

Yeah, there is no sound, its just a feeling, as per the TSB it effects the 2011's and 2012's. It is o much better after the shaft is replaced. I actually brought a printout copy of the TSB with me to the dealer.

damazeen 05-19-2012 05:58 AM

'Cause I have a Jan 2012 build, and I can feel it ever so slightly, and not all the time. So I can live with it if the fix isn't that great. I hate dealers touching anything they don't have to. Unlike with a mechanic you trust, dealer technicians and mechanics are pot-luck. You might be really lucky and have a seasoned mechanic/technician working on your problem, or .......

IRISH 09-25-2012 08:37 PM

Mine was built Jan. 12 also and the clunk developed a month after ownership, I thought I could live with it but after 11K km it is getting worse.

ajs800 09-25-2012 10:13 PM

I had my 2011 replaced June and it took care of the braking thump, however, I have a slight thump feeling that can be felt in the steering wheel at mid range speeds when on smooth pavement. It almost feels like an axle, bearing, or tire issue, but of course everything checks out okay and I've had two different dealers inspect the front-end. THis and a rattle or two have been my only gripes to date with approx 19k miles.

I always assumed the slight thumping was a front-end issue, but it could very well be steering shaft related.

F500 12-10-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damazeen (Post 630162)
Would members who had the intermediate shaft replaced tell us if that cured the problem completely or has the "thud" feeling returned, especially when braking slow or over small road bumps.

Yes, the thud has come back! My 2011 had the shaft changed at 14500 km and by now, at 22500 km, the thud is clearly noticeable but not as bad as before it was changed. The thud did disappear completely after the repair and has come back slowly.

Jeep_addicted 12-11-2012 01:05 PM

We just had the 2011 done and for now it is gone.

Now I have to find time to take the 2012 in.

I also had to hand the Service writer a copy of the TSB. He kept saying the the techs check for TSB's but when I brought in the car he asked me for the copy I had to give to the tech.

Jeep_addicted 12-11-2012 01:08 PM

What I can't understand is why the shaft moves so often. It should be weighted with a spring of some sort so it's movement can't be felt.

F500 02-04-2013 08:18 PM

Is there any way to grease the intermediate steering column shaft?

I am getting tired of it. Was at the dealer yesterday but on the small test run they didn't feel the thud/knocking. It has been quite consistent over the last month but not yesterday. Maybe it has to do with temperature as we have had very hot weather until two days ago when it became ca. 20 deg C colder.