Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   auto climate vs manual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/auto-climate-vs-manual-42197.html)

shaft412412 05-16-2012 10:30 AM

auto climate vs manual

2012 Larado 4x4. I have the manual climate control. I was wondering if its possilbe to install the controls of the automatic climate control for just the looks itself. I dont like the 3 huge nobs and empty space on the manual. Any suggestions would be great.

fljeepleo 05-16-2012 02:06 PM

Re: auto climate vs manual

Somebody posted about this a few weeks back, it seems it is very entailed and not worth the money if it can be done at all. There is a lot more to the AC system then just the controls on the dash that makes the two systems different.

BobsWK2 05-16-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaft412412 (Post 630269)
2012 Larado 4x4. I have the manual climate control. I was wondering if its possilbe to install the controls of the automatic climate control for just the looks itself. I dont like the 3 huge nobs and empty space on the manual. Any suggestions would be great.

When I first happen to see a Laredo that had the manual hvac, I thought it had some kind of aftermarket replacement controls installed. Certainly makes the dashboard look cheaper than a 20 year old Civic.

shaft412412 05-16-2012 07:49 PM

i agree.. thats why i wanted to install the auto controls even if they didnt make the auto system work.

FAUEE 05-16-2012 08:26 PM

You can install them if you don't want to have A/C at all anymore.

Outside of that, you'd probably find it cheaper to trade your Jeep in on one with the climate control system.

Actually, depending on how they're set up (I'm guessing they're electronic), you may be able to extend the harness to relocate the controls, and then just have non functional climate control dials on the dash. It's a stupid idea, but it may be possible.

BassMiesterNJ 05-18-2012 08:15 PM

I like the knobs.

Jeep_addicted 05-20-2012 07:03 PM

Yeah the manual system doesn't look as slick as the Auto climate set-up but Heck at least the manual controls still have dual zone, so it could have been worse.

If it bothers you that much, best thing to do is trade up to an overland, then you won't keep regretting not going for the bixenon headlights, leather topped dash or the quadra lift.

I am enjoying my Laredo, hey is not perfect but it is problems free and I am having fun doing little mods to it.

shaft412412 05-21-2012 08:42 AM

i guess my biggest concern about auto vs manual, is the auto system works better. If it really costs so much to upgrade to the auto system, what is the manual missing as far as hardware. The dealership said the housing, blower, hoses were different. oh well. love my grand cherokee. easy to drive. Recently added the chrome mirror caps and had the front windows tinted. Dealership installed the leather seats as part of the price i negotiated. Last thing will be to add some 20s

Diboblo 05-22-2012 04:47 PM

There is a blend door that you will need to add to the plenum under the dash.

You will also need to swap connectors.

Reprogramming the FCM is necessary.

Take a look at LXForums for this mod that AfterHoursMoparPerformance pulled off in his Charger. Other members have done it in their LX platform vehicles, as well.

Bob

Jeep_addicted 05-24-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justal13 (Post 633814)
You know, I keep my auto controls in sync manual mode all the time. I really got tired of the fans in auto mode that would literally blast you out of your seat as soon as I started the GC, if the temp was off the setpoint by even a few degrees. So IMHO, the auto controls are not all they're cracked up to be. Other than looking electonic blingy, I would actually prefer the manual knobs...

If there was a way to use auto and keep the fans at my preferred setpoint, I would use it more.

I think the problem with the jeep system is the position of the light sensor, when I use it on AUTO in the day the fan runs to fast for me I never goes lower than 4 bars.

Now at night the fan speed will slow down and sometime not be noticable.

WK2 HVAC Engineer 07-18-2012 01:44 PM

Wow, a lot of really bad information in this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaft412412 (Post 632608)
… what is the manual missing as far as hardware.

The solar sensor in the middle of the dash, that’s it. This is used for sun load temperature and blower compensation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaft412412 (Post 632608)
The dealership said the housing, blower, hoses were different.

Your dealer is 110% wrong and needs to have their head checked. The HVAC case, blower, blend doors and compressor are all identical between the manual and automatic controls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diboblo (Post 633340)
There is a blend door that you will need to add to the plenum under the dash.

Nope, incorrect.

Quote:

You will also need to swap connectors.

Nope, incorrect.
The MTC connector will perfectly slide right into an ATC module. If you want to go from ATC to an MTC, two of the keying ridges would need to be trimmed with a pair of cutting dikes, but it’s otherwise a seamless transition as well.

Quote:

Reprogramming the FCM is necessary.

Nope, incorrect.
You will be setting an internal DTC for “Solar Sensor – Open Circuit” though. If you are really ambitious, you could hand wire a solar sensor from and ATC into the back of the MTC harness. With this done, you would have 100% automatic functionality. Without it, you still have all of the automatic features, just no solar load compensation.

Trust me, we’ve swapped MTC and ATC controllers in countless WK2 vehicles during climate test trips. It can be, and has been, done… many times.

Scottina06 07-19-2012 12:26 AM

wow...great news!