Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   check engine light? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/check-engine-light-42211.html)

akimball 05-16-2012 04:13 PM

check engine light?

so yesterday i fueled up the jeep and headed out to work on the highway. about five mins after driving a check gas cap light comes on, i pulled over shut the car off and took off and put on the cap again. light came back on so i did the same thing. it shut off but then came on 10 mins later. and now today driving home check engine light came on????

anyone have any ideas to what it might be?

robpp 05-16-2012 04:22 PM

Re: check engine light?

if its not the cap it might be the evap canister or hoses. its all in the drivers rear corner right under the gas filler.

akimball 05-16-2012 04:25 PM

sweet ill check that! thanks!

how bad is it to drive with it like that?

mjl2610 05-16-2012 09:56 PM

When I was receiving a MIL light regarding the gas cap off and on, I ended up paying 12 bucks at the Jeep dealer for a new one. Solved my problem. It is a cheap simple test and easy to return if it don't solve yours. Otherwise its more than likely the evap can like rob said.

2005JGC 05-17-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjl2610 (Post 630770)
When I was receiving a MIL light regarding the gas cap off and on, I ended up paying 12 bucks at the Jeep dealer for a new one. Solved my problem. It is a cheap simple test and easy to return if it don't solve yours. Otherwise its more than likely the evap can like rob said.

dont go expecting to be able to return it... Just sayin. If you install it or special order it its yours and the dealer or parts store doesn't owe you anything.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

akimball 05-17-2012 07:41 PM

went out to check hoses and it was off.. so it was probably the cap? drove to work and back and nothin came on so i think im good thanks guys!

mjl2610 06-04-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 630840)
dont go expecting to be able to return it... Just sayin. If you install it or special order it its yours and the dealer or parts store doesn't owe you anything.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Very true. I have had very little issues when it comes to returns surprisingly with my dealer but as always, just beware... :)

kennzz05 06-06-2012 07:31 AM

fwiw have read about being careful when fueling not to get fuel in the little vent thats right there iin the neck behind the cap. it will trigger the gas cap light too. i used to top off when fueling but after having my light come on i stopped when the pump shuts off and after A number of drive cycles it finally went off