Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Driver side Head light is light purple or pink in color (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/driver-side-head-light-is-light-purple-or-pink-in-color-42237.html)

mrfixxit7 05-16-2012 11:40 PM

Driver side Head light is light purple or pink in color

Driving home tonight and noticed that the drivers side head light is purple or pink in color. when I got home I checked it and it is definitely not the whitish blue color like the drivers side. Anyone have this issue?

I will try to get it to the dealer this week and see what they say

:confused:

SW03ES 05-17-2012 08:18 AM

Re: Driver side Head light is light purple or pink in color

The HID bulb or ballast is failing, they get real purple/pink before they fail...

KILOFINAL 05-17-2012 09:31 AM

that's right, your bulb/ballast is going to go. It happens to HID's as they get older too

SW03ES 05-17-2012 12:15 PM

How old is your WK2? Like what month did you get it?

If its the bulb, I would insist that they replace both. HIDs change color as they age (quite dramatically actually) and you'll be able to tell the difference between the two if its more than a year or so old.

mrfixxit7 05-17-2012 02:10 PM

I just bought the Jeep in April of last year. and it only has 13,000 miles on it. It should not be failing that fast. we will see what the dealership says.

KILOFINAL 05-17-2012 02:50 PM

maybe someone touched the bulb with their bare hand during assembly

SW03ES 05-17-2012 04:17 PM

It definitely should not be failing, they'll replace it under warranty.

coryhakala 05-20-2012 11:55 AM

My drivers side went out under a year after I bought it. The stealership said they would only warranty the one bulb being the other seems fine, I said screw it and bought aftermarket bulbs, they have a three year warranty. GOOD LUCK!

SW03ES 05-20-2012 02:46 PM

If you push it you can get them to cover both. Gotta come at it as a safety issue.

mrfixxit7 05-20-2012 08:19 PM

I took it to the dealership. they put it on order and I will be back on Tuesday to have them install it. They are going to cover it. I think they are only going to replace the one. The other one seems to be working fine.

KILOFINAL 05-20-2012 08:23 PM

The xenon bulbs shouldnt be blowing within a year. Somethings definately wrong. Unless people are driving with xenons on 24/7. On my volvo, the xenon bulbs are $300 a pop so I wouldn't want to be replacing them regularily.

SW03ES 05-20-2012 10:57 PM

If you read around forums though for all makes, sporadic early failures aren't unheard of. Could be a flaw in the original bulb, etc.

$300 a pop perhaps from the Volvo dealer, but HID bulbs aren't that expensive anymore. I had one go out on my old 03 Lexus ES300 at about 140k miles, the dealer wanted $250 for the bulb, plus one hour labor at $120 to install. My mechanic had them in the shop and he charged me $80 a peice and $40 to install, replaced both sides. Same OEM bulb.