Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   HID's on the way. Been thinking... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/hids-on-the-way-been-thinking-42247.html)

bsmith0612 05-17-2012 09:44 AM

HID's on the way. Been thinking...
 
Sorry for posting so much... ive had nothing to do as i work second shift and my classes are over.

BUT!! ive got two sets of HID's on the way. me and 3 other people from work ordered them all together to cut down on shipping costs (that isnt cheap!)

ive got plain black factory housings i will be putting my HID's in. I will get Gen III Projectors (http://tinyurl.com/6qnj2qg) but in the mean time, should i take out the metal reflector piece in front of the low beam bulb? or leave it?

also, i got my HID's from DDM Tuning. I purchased 2 6000K kits. one for lows, one for fogs. however, i also purchases mounting brackets and an error code eliminator. should i have gotten two relay harnesses also? i didnt think about that until it was already ordered. (and i got LED bulbs for my eagle eyes. red for turn, white reverse. NO AMBER!!)

Antonio186 05-17-2012 10:12 AM

Re: HID's on the way. Been thinking...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith0612 (Post 630953)
Sorry for posting so much... ive had nothing to do as i work second shift and my classes are over.

BUT!! ive got two sets of HID's on the way. me and 3 other people from work ordered them all together to cut down on shipping costs (that isnt cheap!)

ive got plain black factory housings i will be putting my HID's in. I will get Gen III Projectors (http://tinyurl.com/6qnj2qg) but in the mean time, should i take out the metal reflector piece in front of the low beam bulb? or leave it?

also, i got my HID's from DDM Tuning. I purchased 2 6000K kits. one for lows, one for fogs. however, i also purchases mounting brackets and an error code eliminator. should i have gotten two relay harnesses also? i didnt think about that until it was already ordered. (and i got LED bulbs for my eagle eyes. red for turn, white reverse. NO AMBER!!)


don't remove the reflector piece in your factory housings. you dont technically need a relay harness, i would NOT use the error code eliminators those are generally for CAN-Bus vehicles, not ours WK's would need them. the relay harness will just protect your factory wiring in case of HID malfunction. so your factory wiring wont be damaged. also what bulb type did you get for the fogs were they 9005? let me know how they worked out for you i have been contemplating doing the fogs but since i cannot find a direct 9055 HID replacement i havent yet.

bsmith0612 05-17-2012 02:17 PM

Re: HID's on the way. Been thinking...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonio186 (Post 630961)
don't remove the reflector piece in your factory housings. you dont technically need a relay harness, i would NOT use the error code eliminators those are generally for CAN-Bus vehicles, not ours WK's would need them. the relay harness will just protect your factory wiring in case of HID malfunction. so your factory wiring wont be damaged. also what bulb type did you get for the fogs were they 9005? let me know how they worked out for you i have been contemplating doing the fogs but since i cannot find a direct 9055 HID replacement i havent yet.

i was under the impression the factory wiring was too small to power the ballast. thats what the relay harness was for. and i got the error code eliminator because it was $15 extra and figured if i needed it, then i have it.

When i ordered them from DDM Tuning, there was no bulb/ballast kit for 9055. but when i went to select the 3000K bulbs for the foglamps, it said "9005/9055/H12/HB3" so that told me those four bulbs types were on in the same. I have tried putting a 9005 bulb in my 9055 fog lamps. it took a little jiggling but it went in like it was meant to be (meaning no modification). we will see when they arrive :)

01grand 05-17-2012 11:08 PM

I used a relay harness with my xenon depot kit, they told me it was necessary for the jeep. However we don't need error eliminators/can bus fixes since the wj's don't have canbus. Good luck getting it all set up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsmith0612 05-18-2012 12:34 AM

Re: HID's on the way. Been thinking...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 631374)
I used a relay harness with my xenon depot kit, they told me it was necessary for the jeep. However we don't need error eliminators/can bus fixes since the wj's don't have canbus. Good luck getting it all set up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THANKS! i may be needing the extra luck lol ill see if they can swap me the relay harness for the ECE (error code eliminator) if not, ill look into making my own harness. wiring has always kinda been my thing. it doesnt scare me, until you get into security systems and remote starts. ohhh those d@mn things...

Antonio186 05-18-2012 07:13 AM

Re: HID's on the way. Been thinking...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith0612 (Post 631108)
i was under the impression the factory wiring was too small to power the ballast. thats what the relay harness was for. and i got the error code eliminator because it was $15 extra and figured if i needed it, then i have it.

When i ordered them from DDM Tuning, there was no bulb/ballast kit for 9055. but when i went to select the 3000K bulbs for the foglamps, it said "9005/9055/H12/HB3" so that told me those four bulbs types were on in the same. I have tried putting a 9005 bulb in my 9055 fog lamps. it took a little jiggling but it went in like it was meant to be (meaning no modification). we will see when they arrive :)

i was told the same thing but i hooked mine up and ran them for about 2 weeks with out an issue and no relay harness. i did how ever have an issue with one of my ballasts, the ignitor was faulty so you had to turn the lights on and off a few times to get the light to come on and stay on. so i thought maybe i do need the harness, i bought the harness installed it and still had the same issue so i knew it was the ballast got that swapped out under warranty and it fired right up. no issues since. i also have an 06 chrysler 300 which is canbus(what a PITA) it needs a relay harness, anti flicker caps, a small 470uF cap on the relay it self to stabilize the voltage going to it cause it fluctuates to much and the relay buzzes like a hornets nest with out it.

bsmith0612 05-18-2012 08:17 AM

Re: HID's on the way. Been thinking...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonio186 (Post 631458)
i was told the same thing but i hooked mine up and ran them for about 2 weeks with out an issue and no relay harness. i did how ever have an issue with one of my ballasts, the ignitor was faulty so you had to turn the lights on and off a few times to get the light to come on and stay on. so i thought maybe i do need the harness, i bought the harness installed it and still had the same issue so i knew it was the ballast got that swapped out under warranty and it fired right up. no issues since. i also have an 06 chrysler 300 which is canbus(what a PITA) it needs a relay harness, anti flicker caps, a small 470uF cap on the relay it self to stabilize the voltage going to it cause it fluctuates to much and the relay buzzes like a hornets nest with out it.

wow. sounds like you got one pain of a vehicle there. this is the most "fancy" vehicle ive owned, my WJ is. and its even a Laredo. i had a 98 Olds Intrigue for a short time, but it was just borrowed so i never really owned it. Im also new to the HID world, as well as half the other stuff i plan on doing. Ill see if maybe i can just return the ECE, since i wont be needing it. or sell it on here to someone who does?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community