Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Need wheel lugnut torque and recommended tire pressure on Scorpion Verde tires please (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/need-wheel-lugnut-torque-and-recommended-tire-pressure-on-scorpion-verde-tires-please-42250.html)

elp_jc 05-17-2012 12:24 PM

Need wheel lugnut torque and recommended tire pressure on Scorpion Verde tires please

Sorry to bother you folks, but bought a showroom new set of SRT wheels and tires (Pirelli Scorpion Verde) for a 2012 Overland V8 (hope they fit :D), and SRT manual doesn't have wheel torque value because tires are runflats. It also doesn't say anything about tire pressures. I need an owner with the all-season Scorpion Verdes to look at this door label please. And as far as wheel lugnut torque, maybe a service manual? Local dealership wasn't any help, hence relying on this fine forum.

As a reference, the Overland calls for 110 ft/lbs of torque for the wheel nuts, which is the highest I've seen on aluminum wheels. Since the SRT wheels are forged (stronger), it might be the same, but rather be safe and ask. Tire pressure is 36 all around, so it should be close. Maybe 35, due to the lower profile? Thanks a million in advance for your help folks.

And I'd have an SRT in the garage now, but dealership owner decided to keep that truck after waiting months for it, so ended up in an Overland 5.7L (obviously bought at a different dealership :D). Thanks gang.

12Jeep 05-17-2012 12:45 PM

Tire pressure should be set to 35 psi when tires are cold.

elp_jc 05-17-2012 02:03 PM

Re: Need wheel lugnut torque and recommended tire pressure on Scorpion Verde tires pl

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Jeep (Post 631054)
Tire pressure should be set to 35 psi when tires are cold.

I guessed right then :D. Thanks a bunch man; appreciate it.

Now just need lugnut torque value folks. I suspect the same 110 ft/lbs as with the Overland 20s, but want to make sure. Thanks again.

12Jeep 05-17-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elp_jc (Post 631097)
I guessed right then :D. Thanks a bunch man; appreciate it.

Now just need lugnut torque value folks. I suspect the same 110 ft/lbs as with the Overland 20s, but want to make sure. Thanks again.

Just double checked it, looks like it should be 33 psi. Sorry for the mix-up, was going off memory.

Mongoose9400 05-17-2012 06:50 PM

Re: Need wheel lugnut torque and recommended tire pressure on Scorpion Verde tires pl

door label states 33psi cold and 100 ft/lbs is plenty for the wheels. I believe the manuel says 100 +/- 15. I run my all seasons at 36-37 psi cold with nitrogen fill. I like it better than when I was at 33-34 psi cold with nitrogen fill.

radbushi 05-18-2012 11:43 AM

Why nitrogen?

Mongoose9400 05-18-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radbushi (Post 631564)
Why nitrogen?

There are various reasons out there. A quick google search will yield some answers. I prefer it because it's not corrosive to rubber like compressed air. It doesn't fluctuate as much in psi during cold and operating temps. Doesn't leak out as fast over time. Some say it's snake oil, but I prefer it. I drive my SRTs hard, so I want the tire psi consistent on all four tires.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

elp_jc 05-18-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 (Post 631243)
door label states 33psi cold and 100 ft/lbs is plenty for the wheels.

Thanks a lot for the correction, but I'll also use 37 cold (tires are good for 51 psi cold, by the way). And I agree 100 ft/lbs is more than enough. In fact, bought a telescopic lugnut wrench, since you'd have to be hulk to break loose 110 ft/lbs with the stock wrench. Or risk injuring your back :D. Thanks again for all your help man :thumbsup:. Have a great weekend ahead.

Mongoose9400 05-18-2012 07:07 PM

If you can't hand tighten the lug nuts all the way down on the wheel stud, then they've been over tightened before and stretched the threads. Just a little FYI.

I use my 18" long 1/2 drive breaker bar and 6 point deep well 22mm socket for removing my wheels. Usually, I just break the lug nuts loose with the breaker bar and then use my electric impact wrench for speedy removal. Installation though is all done by hand. I hand tighten all the lug nuts down, then I start the torquing procedure. This time it's the same socket with my 18" long 1/2 drive torque wrench.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

elp_jc 05-28-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 (Post 631721)
If you can't hand tighten the lug nuts all the way down on the wheel stud, then they've been over tightened before and stretched the threads.

That's a good tip :thumbsup:. Also to torque the lug nuts in a star pattern.

I prefer the Gorilla or Torin telescopic lug nut wrench; very little effort needed even for the 110 ft/lbs on the Jeep. By the way, I torqued the SRT wheels to 110, which is what the manual specifies for the Overland. I believe SRT specifies 100 +/-15, which covers the 110. Reason for that massive torque is the wheels are not hubcentric, meaning the lug nuts also center the wheel on the hub. And with the SRT wheel being a whopping 15 lbs heavier than the Overland 20s (67 vs 82#), didn't want any less. Thanks again for all the help :cool:.