Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Wet carpet. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/wet-carpet-42257.html)

v8plus 05-17-2012 02:50 PM

Wet carpet.

Hi to all.Had a problem sometime ago with carpet wet infootwell on front passenger side,searched the forums for any solutions and the cause is possibley the ac drain.Still have not got round to fixing the issue.Last weekend i had a issue with flat battery,got that sorted but found the carpet wet on front driver side and can not determine where the leak is coming from.Has anyone got a theory as to what my problem is.Thanks for your replies.:confused:

2005JGC 05-17-2012 04:03 PM

Re: Wet carpet.

pull your carpet back in the center, on the passanger side, you will see where the a/c drain pokes through the firewall... it is typically in this area where the heater core spills its guts and you will see coolant running down the firewall to the floorboard here.

Otherwise it may be difficult, if it is water, you might be looking at pulling your seats, and your carpet, cleaning out ALL the water and running it under a sprinkler, water can travel throught the cabin (front to back) side to side would be a stretch unless it was coming from the rear hatch area.

Frango100 05-17-2012 05:56 PM

Do you smell coolant inside the cabin? Is the coolant level normal or low? If all ok, it could be a clogged AC drain tube. The tube goes to the engine bay on the passenger side. It could also come from the sunroof drain.

Tanner505 05-17-2012 09:52 PM

does your jeep have a sun roof ? if so then its the drains for the sun roof the tubes they used get dry rotted and break and they will drain all the water inside your jeep you can find the tube behind the a pillars and they run from the sun roof down on both sides

v8plus 05-19-2012 03:03 AM

Thanks for all your replies guys,very much appreciated for all the info.Sorry for delayed responce.Thanks again.Yes i do have a sun roof,which side is the drain hose,remember my car is right hand drive.

Frango100 05-19-2012 05:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Should be on both sides, independed left or right hand drive. But check the side where you have the wet carpet. Are you sure its clean water and no coolant?

v8plus 05-22-2012 02:18 PM

Thanks again Frango100. Diagram was informative.There is no coolant smell,also ihave not driven the car for some weeks due to flat battery,which is now sorted.So i am guessing the sun roof drain tubes are blocked and/or perrished.Will investigate when i have some spare time. Can you direct me to the site you got the diagrame from for future referance thanks.

Frango100 05-22-2012 06:04 PM

I bought the factory service manual on CD, but nowadays you can easier and cheaper download it online. I remember one of the members payed around $8,00 for it. Just search for it via google, i can recommend the factory manual, very informative. But if the AC housing drain is clogged, you also get a wet carpet. You only have to look for a small piece of tube coming through the bulkhead on the passengers side. Pry with some piece of metal to see if water comes out. Do hear hear the sound of water when you rock the jeep?
If this seems to be ok, you could remove the side pillar covers, throw some water over the sunroof and see if you have any signs of water there.

ernajlb 08-03-2014 05:19 PM

While my searching my '01 Limited for the moonroof drain tube issue, I also found that there was one of the rubber grommets was missing from the floorboard. So driving in the rain just threw water up into the cabin of the of the car, soaking the underside of the carpet. Of course, I did find the drain tube from the moonroof was broken, too. This was causing water to just pour like a faucet onto the carpet. Will get a new drain hose and try to replace the whole tube as soon as I can. When I get the job done, I'll post for future reference.