Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   Brake help!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/brake-help-42276.html)

JeepFreak12 05-18-2012 05:17 AM

Brake help!!

I just did my front brakes last night. I took the driver caliper off with intensions on painting them but i didnt have time so i put it back on. I bled the lines but i have almost no braking power. I have to push the pedal almost 3/4 of the way down to start slowing down. So i bled the lines mulitpul times again. No leaks anywhere. I have no clue. Any ideas? I used oem rotors with ceramic low dust pads.

06HemiWK 05-18-2012 06:33 AM

Re: Brake help!!

made that mistake on my old trailblazer. you do not want to take the calipers off. make sure you replace the copper fittings to them or they will leak. and its going to take alot of bleeding. keep the fluid full and start from oppisite rear side of your resivior. trydoing it with the vehicle started so the brake booster is on. thats my guess. good luck

JeepFreak12 05-18-2012 07:12 AM

Alright ill try it with it running.

JeepFreak12 05-20-2012 12:10 PM

Tried what you said and still no luck. I checked all the lines for leaks, no leaks. As of right now I have no clue. I checked and tried everything.

Frango100 05-21-2012 10:45 AM

When you bleed the brakes, is there still air coming out with the fluid? I heard that it is not a good idea to floor the brake pedal during bleeding, because there can be some debris in the cylinder, which could damage the piston seal, with internal leakage as a conseguence.
When you bled the brakes, did you take care to keep the reservoir full, otherwise you will introduce air again. The bleeding method used is the right one? (push the pedal, open a bleed screw, after bleeding some fluid close the bleed screw and then release the pedal again)

JeepFreak12 05-22-2012 05:10 AM

Figured out the problem. One of the seals were bad in the master cylinder. Replaced it and it is 100% better!

Frango100 05-22-2012 06:05 AM

Do you know the reason for the bad seal, because it was not bad before you did the brake job. Could it have to do with any debris or even corrosion at the master cylinder bore at the end of the stroke?

JeepFreak12 05-22-2012 09:48 AM

My guess is corrosion. The seal looked pretty bad.

Frango100 05-22-2012 11:38 AM

The problem is the brake fluid, which many times is not changed every 2 years. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, so it attracks humidity out of the air. The small water particles in the fluid can/will cause corrosion of the metal internal brake system parts, making the area rough, and depending on the place, causing seal wear. The area where the master cylinder plunjer normally operates is normally clean, but the end of the cylinder, where the plunjer normally never comes, can be rough due to corrosion. If the plunjer reaches this area during bleeding, you have a good change that the seal(s) get damaged. Did you check the cylinder bore when you changed the seal?

hoffmanestates 07-22-2012 08:00 AM

mind throwing me a pic or description of which seal.you replaced. I have not done brakes nut seems like I need 40acres up slow this thing down

Turbo charged G2X using tapatalk 2