Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Recovering a WK2 without tow hooks? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/recovering-a-wk2-without-tow-hooks-42315.html)

secamp 05-19-2012 12:30 PM

Recovering a WK2 without tow hooks?
 
As I was driving down the Highway I noticed the how many new WK2s there were. Of course, this being NY none of them (except mine) had tow hooks. So if I had to pull one out of a ditch, what should I hook my snatch strap to? Any suggestions that wouldn't damage their Jeep? Is the rear axle strong enough?

Mendo 05-19-2012 02:04 PM

Re: Recovering a WK2 without tow hooks?
 
Good question! We cant even add them as an accessory over here because they changed the front chassis rail for export models. Ours do come with a screw in eyebolt stored with the spare that can be used to tow or for mild recovery. The aren't suitable for snatch strap recovery. I'm guessing they all have the screw in eyebolt.

BobT 05-24-2012 12:07 AM

Re: Recovering a WK2 without tow hooks?
 
The rear isn't the problem. There is a good strong recovery hook in the rear. The front is the problem. The screw in eye bolt looks quite strong but it is not rated for snatching. Chrysler Australia claim they have a solution and it is on the way (so is Christmas). Other than that, they are playing their cards close to their chests.

savvas 05-24-2012 12:12 AM

Re: Recovering a WK2 without tow hooks?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobT (Post 634008)
The rear isn't the problem. There is a good strong recovery hook in the rear. The front is the problem. The screw in eye bolt looks quite strong but it is not rated for snatching. Chrysler Australia claim they have a solution and it is on the way (so is Christmas). Other than that, they are playing their cards close to their chests.

I havent had a close look at the screw in eye, but do you think that if you used one on either side and had an equalising strap on them to split the load, would they be safe for a recovery? My guess is they might be ok for a straight line pull, but probably not for anything with a sideways load.

BobT 05-25-2012 12:53 AM

Re: Recovering a WK2 without tow hooks?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by savvas (Post 634009)
I havent had a close look at the screw in eye, but do you think that if you used one on either side and had an equalising strap on them to split the load, would they be safe for a recovery? My guess is they might be ok for a straight line pull, but probably not for anything with a sideways load.

I agree with you. The eye bolt looks extremely strong but only for a straight pull. Unfortunately, I suspect there is only one eye bolt socket. If there were two sockets, your proposal may well work but someone would have to do the calcs to prove it before I risk having two eye bolts embedded in the back of my head.

savvas 05-27-2012 08:19 PM

Re: Recovering a WK2 without tow hooks?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobT (Post 634479)
I agree with you. The eye bolt looks extremely strong but only for a straight pull. Unfortunately, I suspect there is only one eye bolt socket. If there were two sockets, your proposal may well work but someone would have to do the calcs to prove it before I risk having two eye bolts embedded in the back of my head.

too true

AAAA 05-27-2012 08:51 PM

Re: Recovering a WK2 without tow hooks?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by secamp (Post 631921)
As I was driving down the Highway I noticed the how many new WK2s there were. Of course, this being NY none of them (except mine) had tow hooks. So if I had to pull one out of a ditch, what should I hook my snatch strap to? Any suggestions that wouldn't damage their Jeep? Is the rear axle strong enough?

I can't answer your question but I can say there are quite a few WK2's here in the Albany, NY area and many have front tow hooks (not mine tho).:thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community