Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   2006 Grand Cherokee Radio Display (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/2006-grand-cherokee-radio-display-42333.html)

naren 05-20-2012 12:07 AM

2006 Grand Cherokee Radio Display

Hello All,
Recently,I have bought 2006 Grand Cherokee Laredo from dealer. I was told by the dealer that the REC navigation system on this car has some issues.It works all of sudden for a while and then the display goes off. So when the display goes off I cannot tune radio. I am not concerned if there is display or not, I want to be able to tune the radio.
I am planning to replace this factory fitted radio with an aftermarket one. But, since the display comes on sometime( rarely ) and stay ON for 5 mins - 30mins,
I was thinking if there is any minor issues that can be fixed either by myself or at the authorized jeep dealership, I am ready it give it a try.
So, do anyone has/had similar type or problem seen in their jeep ? If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I would really appreciate it if you can explain it here.

Thanks in advance
Naren

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-20-2012 12:46 AM

Re: 2006 Grand Cherokee Radio Display

welcome to jeep garage!! i would make sure the fan is running, seems like it is overheating and shutting down

naren 05-20-2012 09:19 AM

Thanks for the response.But, how do I make sure that the fan is working? is there any inbuilt fuse for the radio ?

2005JGC 05-21-2012 10:20 AM

I would agree with Matt, sounds like an overheat concern. I will say 2 times in the last year mine has shut off almost right after I started the jeep, cycling the key brought it back to life and I didnt have any problems after that.

just pull the radio out while its on and there is a fan on the back of the radio, make sure its spinning... if you pull the heat sink off the passanger side of the radio, I remember there being a processor with some heat sink compound under it, maybe try cleaning off the old stuff and applying some better stuff.

That said, a dealer wont take this stuff apart, unfourtunatly radios are typically in the "just replace it" category... my writer refuses to sell REC navigation knob repairs even though its easy money because as a dealer "we cannot warranty it" so a 700 dollar radio instead of a 100 dollar repair.

05WK 05-21-2012 08:44 PM

You can find how to take the radio out on wkjeeps.com. Just select your model and find your category

jeepgcoman 05-21-2012 09:35 PM

The main issues (at least on my REC) are the Nav. joystick goes bad (I had to replace mine as soon as I bought it), and the maps (I have the latest version) are relatively incomplete compared to the Garmin in my other vehicle. As said, pull it out, being careful not to drop it on the shift lever (like one guy did) and break the screen, and check as they said. In real cold weather mine (Nav. portion only) won't work until I've driven it a few (5 or so) miles.

If you need repairs, there are places on the web that repair them and/or sell refurbished ones. The stealer will gouge you. Also, some guys have put a newer radio in but, I unerstand they are not plug and play for all features. Keep us posted.

naren 05-22-2012 11:18 PM

Thank you all for your inputs.
I have not tried the advice given by 2005JGC, but I am going to.
Before I do anything, I wanted to get it checked at the authorized Jeep dealership.So.I took my jeep to the dealership today and hoping to possibly fix the problem. But, no luck. I was told that the serial No. of my audio system is not associated with the VIN of my jeep and the dealer has to say that someone had already replaced the original audio system with current system, which I have it now prior to me buying this jeep. So the dealer is not able to fix the display issue and cannot do anything about it. I was told that it would cost me aprrox $850 to replace the existing one with same model new one.
So, I have decided to go with an aftermarket stereo system. I don'e necessarily need navigation system in my car.But, also I do not want to forfeit the ability the controls on my steering wheel either. Does anyone know what parts do I need to buy in order to make this work. Mainly the connectors.I did some research online what parts I need to buy but, I am not completely sure about it. Your guidelines/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Naren

2005JGC 05-22-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naren (Post 633536)
Before I do anything, I wanted to get it checked my audio system at the authorized Jeep dealership.So.I took my jeep to the dealership today and hoping to possibly fixing the problem. But, no luck. I was told that the serial No. of my audio system is not associated with the VIN of my jeep. So, the dealer has to say that someone had already replaced the original audio system with current system, which I have it now. So the dealer is not able to fix the display issue and cannot do anything about it. I was told that it would cost me aprrox $850 to replace the existing one with same model new one.

wha?

That is quite the story they gave you... A serial number doesn't deturmine if they can fix it or not... Regardless, as I stated previously, the radio is an item no shop offers to take apart and try to repair. There are some guys here that can better help you with radio suggestions.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

05WK 05-22-2012 11:30 PM

I believe there are some aftermarket nav radios that utilize the controls on the steering wheel. Shop around on crutchfield or give them a call. Very great people who are very knowledgable and willing to help

Madanio24 05-23-2012 07:53 PM

alpine i kniow has an adapter that works with the steering wheel controls.

JMLoughrey 05-24-2012 05:11 PM

youll need a part made by metra, ASWC is the model number, you'll also need to make sure your new radio has steering wheel control capabilities.
need more info shoot me a pm, i'd be happy to help, been a car audio installer for 8 years.

kennzz05 06-01-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 634281)
youll need a part made by metra, ASWC is the model number, you'll also need to make sure your new radio has steering wheel control capabilities.
need more info shoot me a pm, i'd be happy to help, been a car audio installer for 8 years.

nice guy:thumbsup: