Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Insurance (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/insurance-42396.html)

rchung813 05-21-2012 04:24 PM

Insurance

What are you thoughts on insurance? Today I received a call from my home insurance (State Farm) saying they can cover my car at a lower rate than my current insurance (GEICO). The saving would estimate to be about $200 for every 6 months. Supposedly the coverage is the same, if not very similar. Also I know GEICO offers the MBI coverage (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) which is similar to a 7 year / 100,000 coverage for about $15 (edit) every 6 months (/edit), but State Farm doesn't offer this. What are you thoughts? I've been with GEICO for many years and they said the rate I have is the best they can do and can't lower it. I like the MBI which seems to extend my warranty like coverage.

Also has anyone here used the MBI or know anyone who has? Does it cover the air suspension?

AAAA 05-21-2012 05:20 PM

Re: Insurance

I am not with GEICO, but suggest you read the MBI section in the policy to see if it really is similar to 7/100,000. I kinda doubt it. Also it is not uncommon for insurance companies to give a discount if you have multiple lines with them, depends on state laws.

eibyer 05-21-2012 05:42 PM

The last time my home policy carrier gave me a call, I forwarded them a copy of my policy just to see if they can do better. The amount they came up with is double what I'm currently paying so now they stopped calling me.

xJoshxx 05-21-2012 05:42 PM

Im rockin state farm with maxed out insurance 0 deductibles 76/m

77Cherokee 05-21-2012 05:45 PM

I agree with AAAA. MBI is nothing like the manufacturer's extended warranty. You would be paying $180/year. That amounts to over $1200 in 7 years. I just bought the Chrysler Maxcare 7/70 warranty for $950 with $100 deductible and I would bet it covers much more than any MBI through an insurance company, including rental cars and trip interruption coverage. :brows:

rchung813 05-21-2012 08:05 PM

Sorry for not being clear, the $15 coverage is for every 6 months with a $250 deductible. To me the 7 years / 100,000 miles is very interesting and maybe cheaper than a warranty. Though like others have told me, it would be prudent to find out if parts used are OEM, aftermarket, or used. I'm also torn if I should by a Chrysler warranty, give I have air suspension and I have heard people are now having some problems with them.

dubwarren 05-21-2012 10:15 PM

Right now there are no aftermarket parts for the new Grand Cherokees. So no insurance company can force you to use them after an accident.