Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   730N RHR iphone 4S (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/730n-rhr-iphone-4s-42434.html)

earldharris 05-22-2012 01:58 PM

730N RHR iphone 4S

My wife is having issues with the 730N RHR and using the voice recognition to dial phone numbers, etc.
This has been an issue for some time now, but we have essentially ignored it - just physically dialing instead of using voice commands to dial numbers.
When you try to use the voice commands, it simply does not recognize what you are saying: Call Jim - response: Call Betty, etc.
Using numbers is no better - Dial 303.xxx - response: Dial 491, etc.

We had hoped that this would be simple, but it is becoming anything but.

We took it to the dealer yesterday, and they did a software update.
Things were working well for the dealer, and my wife took the car back.
Unfortunately, after three or four phone calls using voice activation, the system is again failing to recognize names, numbers, etc.

The dealer is now claiming that it is the iphone 4S that is the issue, and that there is not an update for this phone interface, and that this is the reason that the voice commands are not working properly.
One of the technicians mentioned that he has seen this issue before, that the voice commands (using the 4S) will work properly after an update, but only for a limited number of calls before failing again.

I am not a sofware guy, but this sounds like BS to me!
If the system can not understand her, it should not matter what the phone is - it is a fault of the 730N or Uconnect - correct?

Has anyone else heard of this?
If anyone has input/comments/suggestions - please help!

Thanks!
- Frustrated

Brainfry 05-22-2012 02:19 PM

Re: 730N RHR iphone 4S

Assuming your wife went through the initial set up for voice command? Ie, imitating the prompts in order for the system to offer better voice recognition?

B

earldharris 05-22-2012 02:24 PM

She did initially, but not since the software update (yesterday).

What is the most confusing to me is that it worked perfectly for the first three or four phone calls after the update, and then failed to recognize after that...:confused:

Brainfry 05-22-2012 02:27 PM

The same issue is intermittent for me. I find the quieter the noise levels are in the cabin, the better... i.e., low fan, windows closed, etc. I also try and speak in a normal voice, rather than as if I'm talking to a foreigner in English... slow and LOUD as if that would help! :D:D:D

But still, yes, it's not quite adequate, is it?

earldharris 05-22-2012 02:40 PM

Just got a call from the dealer - they confirm that it was not working for them either this morning.
They unpaired the iphone 4S, and now swear that voice commands are working perfectly for NAV, radio, etc.

The dealer is telling me that we simply can not pair the iphone 4S until they get an update from Chrysler - but no hint of when that might be...

This does not sound right - either voice command, or phone usage, but not both?!

Well, I guess I will re-pair the phone tonight, and we will continue to live without voice commands.

I can't say that I am impressed...

jcnaranjo 05-22-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earldharris (Post 633257)
My wife is having issues with the 730N RHR and using the voice recognition to dial phone numbers, etc.
This has been an issue for some time now, but we have essentially ignored it - just physically dialing instead of using voice commands to dial numbers.
When you try to use the voice commands, it simply does not recognize what you are saying: Call Jim - response: Call Betty, etc.
Using numbers is no better - Dial 303.xxx - response: Dial 491, etc.

We had hoped that this would be simple, but it is becoming anything but.

We took it to the dealer yesterday, and they did a software update.
Things were working well for the dealer, and my wife took the car back.
Unfortunately, after three or four phone calls using voice activation, the system is again failing to recognize names, numbers, etc.

The dealer is now claiming that it is the iphone 4S that is the issue, and that there is not an update for this phone interface, and that this is the reason that the voice commands are not working properly.
One of the technicians mentioned that he has seen this issue before, that the voice commands (using the 4S) will work properly after an update, but only for a limited number of calls before failing again.

I am not a sofware guy, but this sounds like BS to me!
If the system can not understand her, it should not matter what the phone is - it is a fault of the 730N or Uconnect - correct?

Has anyone else heard of this?
If anyone has input/comments/suggestions - please help!

Thanks!
- Frustrated

Until they fix the issue have u tried using SIRI? If the device is paired up, SIRI comes on over the speakers and instead of using uconnect for voice recognition, u use SIRI. It works well and you can even send texts and email through voice commands... The only drawback is you have to access SIRI via the iPhone. It works great for me.. Specially since texting is not an option through uconnect...

Brainfry 05-22-2012 02:49 PM

I also have multiple duplicate entries that show up on the 730 screen. You as well?

earldharris 05-22-2012 02:56 PM

Have not tried using SIRI - maybe that will work better? Worth a shot!

I am not sure about the multipe entries - I will have a look at it tonight..

jcnaranjo 05-22-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earldharris (Post 633289)
Have not tried using SIRI - maybe that will work better? Worth a shot!

I am not sure about the multipe entries - I will have a look at it tonight..

Siri works great for me. Also, I thought of something. Have you tried deleting and pairing up again. I think that for some reason your contacts got messed up in the HD. When you pair up uconnect transfers your contacts over from your iPhone. Once you pair up an icon comes up on the bottom of the screen showing you that your contacts are being transferred. Wait until it completes this before you turn off the radio unit...

earldharris 05-22-2012 10:28 PM

We got JGC back tonight - they had unpaired both phones (her iphone 4S, and my Nokia 6350 flip).
I re-paired the Nokia - it would work with voice activation, although it was a little strange:
Each name showed up as many times as I had numbers for (work & home = name show up twice). However, you could not tell which was which (only showed the name twice) - you had to guess which one you wanted it to call :confused:.
However, it could seem to understand me, and work! :)
We paired up the iphone 4S later, and immediately, the system could no longer recognize my voice: Call Kelli = Call Towing Assistance ?!
Tried several names, system came up with nothing even close to what I was saying. Call Jim = Calling 411 Directory ?!
Does not make sense to me, but maybe the 4S screws Uconnect up?
If that is true, I hope they are faster on the update than for the iphone 4 (service manager told me they just got the update ~4 months ago :eek:)
Surely there are more 4S users - Are others not having issues?

I did try SIRI - and it does work! A little convoluted, but maybe that will work in the (hopefully) short term until this can be fixed.

Thanks for the replies!

PECo 06-15-2012 09:53 AM

I have a 2012 with RHR and haven't had any issues using my iPhone 4s with it. Well, other than the duplicate entry thing (e.g., "Say Line One or Line Two"). Sorry, but I don't have any suggestions regarding resolving your problem. I just wanted you to know that it works for some people. Good luck! :thumbsup: