Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   tinting my tail lights... i have questions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/tinting-my-tail-lights-i-have-questions-42451.html)

BostonBrawler 05-22-2012 06:47 PM

tinting my tail lights... i have questions

so im tinting my tails and 3rd brake this weekend. i'm gonna use vht night shades. some people are telling me to use 800 grit sand paper, some 2000 grit? some telling me to use alcohol, some not. i saw someone on here taped of the spot on the tails where the reverse lights are, i think it looks sick but how much of a pain in the ass is it to do? im planning on doing 2 coats of tint and one coat clearcoat.... any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Madanio24 05-22-2012 09:23 PM

Re: tinting my tail lights... i have questions

Use 2000 grain sand paper. you only want to take the shine off of the headlights before they are tinted. The alcohol cleaning is really up to you. I washed mine with soap and water before i was going to apply the tint, then let it air dry. Just get a roll of painters tape and cover the reverese light spot, really easy.

Rocky31186 05-22-2012 11:18 PM

Scuff the lights with 1000, clean with alcohol.

Spray 2 coats of VHT on it, and 3-4 coats of clear.

If you do one coat of clear, you will wet sand right through it..

After it cures for a while, wet sand the top coat with 2000 grit

once you have a dull flat surface use rubbing compound, and it will shine like glass

After that use polish, and it will really make it pop.

StoneCold 05-23-2012 08:25 AM

^^ Just as he said:thumbsup:

Clear is more important than colour and make sure you give it plenty time to cure before sanding. Some clears can take a week to air cure properly.

To mask off the reverse section, you can use fine line tape to get the shape you want, then just use masking tape to do the rest.

Personally I would wipe it down with white spirit/ alcohol to make sure there is no residue on the lens.

BostonBrawler 05-23-2012 07:21 PM

is this a project i can get done in a day or do i need to let it dry for a couple days?

Madanio24 05-23-2012 07:29 PM

takes about a day from start to finish including drying times.

BostonBrawler 05-23-2012 08:32 PM

thanks guys, ill put up some pics when im done

Madanio24 05-23-2012 09:01 PM

Just remember if you can do it outside. I know in my area the humidity is very high so if paining outside they will come out like crap. I did it in a dehumidified room.

phox 05-26-2012 08:59 AM

....2000 grit for sure.

masking off your reverse light is a MUST in my opinion, and it's not hard.

I have 3 layers on my tails, 5 layers of VHT on my third brake.

then about 6 or 7 of clear.

I sand with 2000 grit with soapy water. best way to scuff without destroying.

I also dried them overnight in a dehumidified room. they look perfect. absolutely flawless.

remember to sand and compound when you're done!

05WK 05-26-2012 04:24 PM

^X2

Just put some tape over it and run your finger nail over the lip on the perimeter o the reverse light area. Then use a box cutter or exacto knife to trim the outer parts off.

Paint, then gently pull the tape off. Best addition and looks clean

phox 05-26-2012 04:53 PM

also, this probably goes without saying but don't sand the area that you're masking off!

Madanio24 05-26-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phox (Post 635097)
also, this probably goes without saying but don't sand the area that you're masking off!

You need to sand the whole area of the tail light including the reverse section even if you are NOT tinting the reverse section. This is due to the fact that when you peel off the tape after base coat the clear needs something to stick to over that section.