Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Jeep Issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/jeep-issues-42466.html)

babymama143 05-23-2012 07:35 AM

Jeep Issues

Hello fellow Jeepiez,

So I am having mad issues with my 2004, Jeep Grand Cherokee. I went to get my Jeep smog checked in March and it didn't pass inspection! My issues that showed were, MIL/ check engine and P0432. I went that very day to my mechanic and he looked at the codes and verified that my sensors and catalytic converter were bad. I have spent over $1300.00 to get my Jeep fixed and now have to go to a California ref. to get it looked at. I have failed 3 smogs and my check engine light won't stay off. Any suggestions???? HELP!!! :confused:

Gus9890 05-23-2012 08:13 AM

Re: Jeep Issues

Welcome to Jeep Garage!! If you post this in the WJ forum, you'll get more responses and help.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-23-2012 03:17 PM

welcome! definately check out the WJ sections

Frango100 05-23-2012 09:43 PM

Welcome to the garage.
What exactly did they change sofar and is/are the code(s) still the same? You could check for fault codes yourself by switching the ignition OFF-ON three times and leave the key in ON at the end. In the odometer will now the fault code(s) be shown, or "DONE" when all ok.

babymama143 05-30-2012 07:19 AM

I have now failed 5 smog checks. The only code that shows up is P04032. It says that it is a leak in man cat converter low effeicency (bank 2). I have spend over $1400 now and am getting tired of this. I had the catayltic converter replaced, all of the sensors replaced and had a tune up. The check engine light goes off for a few days then comes back on. I went to a ref of the state and that's how I went from 4 failed smogs to 5. I am suppose to go this friday to have it looked at thru a state smog repair, this way if I don't pass a 6th time , I can get a cost of waiver.

2005JGC 05-30-2012 02:56 PM

Did you have aftermarket catalytic converters installed? I have seen brand new aftermarket cats continue throwing p0420 catalyst effiency codes. My sisters mazda pickup had a p0420 that the first thing her repair facility did was replace the cat, followed by about 3 more trips one right after the next getting more and more parts replaced, I convinced her to take it to mazda and they showed her a graph of the downstream 02 vs the upstream o2 and clearly showed the downstream switching like the upstream, she went back one more time with this information (to have the cat warrantied) and he STILL didnt think it was the cat, he replaced an O2 sensor and said if it comes back he would re-replace the cat... well her next trip in (because, yes the lamp came back on) he replaced the cat and no more check engine lamp.

I have seen it on others too... I have a neighbor with a ZJ grand cherokee, same deal, he went through like 3 cats before they replaced it with one that worked.

babymama143 05-31-2012 07:39 AM

:sleepy::pics:That's ridiculious! I already had the "main cat" replaced and the CPA said that the mechanic replaced the wrong cat. That when the smog reads anything with bank 1 or 2 then it is one of the front cats that need replacing! I am pissed that a mechanic that has been in the business for over 30 years "doesn't know" this. I can understand if this said mechanic only dealt with one type of vehicle but he doesn't. He is a FULL service shop that only takes your money and when he can't figure out what the real cause of the problem is, he sends you to his church people to have them get in on the profit. What is the world coming to where you can never go to a real mechanic without them taking you for a ride!?? I am so irritated by this whole sitiuation that I am ready to park the jeep and get a Honda . LOL I got all of the O2 sensors done. I got the tune up and main cat replaced. NOW its not even the correct converter!?!?!?!?! Tired of it.. Anybody wanna buy a 2004 Jeep... lol. I have to go again on friday to get a certified California smog mechanic look at it and fix it, just to get my tags. And check this... MORE MONEY OUTTA MY POCKET INTO THEIRS! Oh yeah and FYI everyone.. If I don't pass smog this time then, (#6 smog) then I get a cost of waiver from the ref I went to last week! I feel that with the state of California that if you don't pass 3 smogs and you have a real mechanic working on it , you should get the cost of waiver then.... Sorry had to vent a little.. Thanks for trying but I think that it's time to put this jeep to rest... I am going to have to retire it. :confused: :mad:

bacernate 05-31-2012 09:45 PM

If he would of replaced your cat with an oem one then they both would have been replaced as they are part of the y pipe. In my 20+ years of being a mechanic one thing i've learned is never use an aftermarket cat. Also it is actually illegal in california to use aftermarket catalytic converters! There are a very small amount that are 50 state legal but most aren't. When I replace one at work we take it to the recyclers and they will pay me 75-100 for an oe cat and 5 bucks for an aftermarket one because it has almost no precious metal in it.
On a side note what part of the test is your truck failing? hc-co-or nox?

babymama143 06-04-2012 07:08 AM

:o Yeah but it was a factory brand new cat. He replaced the wrong cat. Not the y cat but the main cat in the back. It is failing the emissions part that passed the first smog but after he touched it, it failed. It went from 501-489 to 501-1104! Then the bottom emission on the smog read 704-632 to 704-779! He messed something up! Also he kept the old main cat,so I can't get it back. He probably already sold it to recycler. I need to know what my right is to have him redo this mess. He put on the paperwork that he replaced the cat as per customers request! No kiddin... He kept telling me that it needed to be replaced and since he has been in the business for over 25 years, I trusted him. MY BAD! What are your thoughts on it bacernate? :confused:

bacernate 06-04-2012 10:25 PM

Not sure how your test reads but there are 3 main things they look at. HC hydrocarbons= if they are high you have a misfire shouldn't be over 150 or so.
CO carbon monoxide= if it's high it's too rich. NOX if it's high there are 3 causes egr failure which the wj doesn't have so that can be ruled out, engine overheating or a bad cat. If your truck passed before and now it doesn't make the butthole fix it. Prob got bad o2 sensors or aftermarket cat. Aftermarket o2 sensor are a no-no on a chrysler product.

01grand 06-05-2012 02:00 PM

Definitely what bacernate used on the o2 sensors, if you don't get them from the dealer you MUST get denso brand sensors, as they make the OE/dealer o2 sensors for the WJ.

hoffmanestates 06-07-2012 06:09 PM

yes what I have learned OS use mopar OEM only parts on Jeep.Dodge.Chrysler. as they are very finaky

Turbo charged G2X using tapatalk 2