Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Questions about installing/purchasing SRT rear bumper (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/questions-about-installing-purchasing-srt-rear-bumper-42492.html)

JRsmoothee 05-23-2012 08:26 PM

Questions about installing/purchasing SRT rear bumper

i have a few question about installing a srt rear bumper on my 09 WK

1) what options do i have for exhaust, i would really like to keep my spare tire....if i install the srt exhaust will it be a bolt on application for my 4.7/ what modification will i need to do (besides removing my spare tire) and what other exhaust exit options have other people done besides coming out the middle of the bumper

2)how easy of an install would this be to do myself.... im not a pro mechanic but have installed my mopar body kit, rear sway bar, ect.... nothing to technical

Escape 05-23-2012 08:56 PM

Re: Questions about installing/purchasing SRT rear bumper

You can have the muffler shop route it around the spare.

Install is easy. You will need either push pins or a plastic rivet tool to replace the ones on the rear fenderwell. 2 bolts 1 behind each tail light, 3 or 4 pins along the top of the step pad area and 2 bolts hidden up under each side behind the sides of the cover.

Becareful removing and replacing the chrome part and the rear sensors if you have them.

JRsmoothee 05-23-2012 09:04 PM

the thing is though we dont have a custom muffler shop in town.... nearest one is an hour away and trying to get in will be a 3 to 4 month wait because of the oil boom (many many people up here all wanting exhaust work done on their big duramax diesels) so i was kinda hoping there would be something out there prefabricated up that could either be bolted on or easily welded on by a random welder

robpp 05-23-2012 09:15 PM

Routing around spare will take a Real Good shop.

JRsmoothee 05-23-2012 09:51 PM

what if i left my stock muffler on with the srt bumper? would it flow right into the bumper or melt it because its too close....?

Scottina06 05-23-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRsmoothee (Post 633966)
what if i left my stock muffler on with the srt bumper? would it flow right into the bumper or melt it because its too close....?

YES it will! Do not install the rear bumper unless you have that rear pipe rerouted. Just cut it off with a sawsall and add a clamp on turn down for the tip so you can install the bumper and then drive to the exhaust shop.

Your best option for the SRt exhaust is to follow my how to! It sounds amazing on a 4.7.

JRsmoothee 05-24-2012 09:37 PM

so is the srt exhaust diameter the same as the 4.7's and would i be able to install the srt exahust with my stock bumper or will it rub (im not gonna have time to do the whole install at once)

Scottina06 05-24-2012 09:58 PM

I guess you could...but you wont have the srt bumper to line up the tips

JRsmoothee 05-24-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 634414)
I guess you could...but you wont have the srt bumper to line up the tips

true....f*ck maybe i will just have to pay a shop to do the entire install at once, it would prolly be alot easier..... anybody have an estimate on what you think it would cost..... paint, install, exhaust install etc.

JRsmoothee 05-30-2012 09:16 PM

so...... anybody know what diameter my exhaust is (09 4.7) and what diameter the srt exhaust is?????? i searched but couldnt really find anything

ItsAJeepThing 05-30-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRsmoothee (Post 636700)
so...... anybody know what diameter my exhaust is (09 4.7) and what diameter the srt exhaust is?????? i searched but couldnt really find anything

I would take a quess and say the same 2.5 , but correct me if I am wrong.
Did the srt bumpers/exhaust on my 09 3.7 and the pipes were the same size