Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Place for tab (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/place-for-tab-42505.html)

padgett 05-24-2012 09:20 AM

Place for tab

1 Attachment(s)
I have decided that a 7" tab is best for the heap but am still wresling with where to mount it.

If I use a flipup above the radio it gets direct sunlight and washes out at the same time the needles disappear. Flop down from the reading lights seems too close to my head. So far mounting on a stiff cable from the passenger seat mount seems to work but blocks the forward cupholder - may need to raise another inch.

Only thing missing is a way to display the backup camera but while EasyCap works well on a Netbook, there does not seem to be a way to add an NTSC/Composite input to Android. Yet. May need to write one.

Comments ?

moosehead 05-24-2012 09:25 AM

Re: Place for tab

Cool. Not that it would make sense just yet given the other systems in the mygig, but it sure would be slick to be able to install one in the dash center column.

padgett 05-24-2012 10:56 AM

Agree, would be nice if I could move the 130 radio under the a/c control module into the mini-cubby with the 12v plug and then put the Tab on top. Might be possible, may need to order the plastic housing to play with.

I miss just being able to go to a recycling center but WK2 is just too new to be plentiful.

ColdCase 05-24-2012 02:51 PM

Post #8 in this tread show how I mounted the iPad.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...highlight=iPad

If the sun comes directly into the drivers side window it has a tendency to wash out, otherwise it is in a handy position, doesn't block anything, and is in a pretty good viewing position. Handy for viewing google maps with traffic (includes many side streets) or local weather radar as well as ODB data.

fljeepleo 05-24-2012 08:24 PM

Cold case has the idea, that is perfect and it doesn't interfere with any of the other controls. I might have to order one of those since I don't have GPS but I do have a 3G iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FAUEE 05-24-2012 08:46 PM

Just curious, but what exactly is the point of ghetto mounting a tablet in a new $30k + vehicle? Why not just get the nav or whatever you want from the factory? Or even buy an aftermarket one? Or at the very least replace the OEM radio with the tablet?

padgett 05-25-2012 07:19 PM

Agree, looking into moving the stock radio into the cubby and mounting the tab there, can do with 7" display but not 10" (have both, best choice is 7".

Point is there are many thing a tab, particularly a 3G/4G tab can do that no current factory radio can such as alarming/reading e-mail, on line traffic reports, displaying traffic cams (like this one), find and make resterant reservations, even open your garage door from a mile away. For the passenger it can stream video from Netflix. Plus the sat-nav.

For me it can read many engine parameters, display and reset fault codes. Plus play music from anywhere and act as a handsfree Vonage/Skype telephone. New tabs can multitask. All for $300-$400 and dropping.

Until you have it, you really do not know what you are missing.

ps there are things the stock radio does better (Sirius, drive real speakers, Uconnect, play CDs) than a Tab, could just get an amp but is easier to use the factory radio/wiring for audio. For this having the 130 is a plus.

My base right now is a Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 since it has built in GPS and Accelerometer, Bluetooth and 802.11 plus more I/O and storage capability (expandable) than an iPAD. Also the soft keyboard has numbers on top of the letters. I already have a 3/4G Mifi device so did not need that