Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Searching for song on HDD - No "A-Z" option? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/searching-for-song-on-hdd-no-a-z-option-42522.html)

Sponge Bob 05-24-2012 06:11 PM

Searching for song on HDD - No "A-Z" option?

I finally got around to loading a bunch of songs on the HDD of my 430 RBZ unit. I noticed that I don’t get the “A->Z” option when searching for a song. If I search by artist the “A->Z” option is available and the keyboard pops up so I can start typing the artist name. The same thing for album, but not for song. If I want to find a song I have to start at “A” and page through every song until I find the one I want. (A bit frustrating if the song starts with any letter beyond “L”). I did not create any folders. Am I missing something? If I hook up the iPod into the armrest I can search for song using the “A->Z” keyboard option. Am I better off blanking the HDD and permanently hooking up an iPod?

I appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks!

Findirman 05-24-2012 11:17 PM

Re: Searching for song on HDD - No "A-Z" option?

I have the 730N RHR and created folders on the USB for each artist containing all their songs. I get the A to Z option for songs, artists, albums and folders. Hope this helps.

Ratchet 05-25-2012 08:14 AM

Sponge Bob, my RBZ is the same way. Alphabetical search for artist, but song search sucks.

Sponge Bob 05-25-2012 08:46 AM

Thanks guys. I wonder if it has to do with the folders.

Ratchet – Do you have folders set up by artist?

Findirman – Do you know if I can create folders from the HDD unit or do I have to create them in the iTunes library, save them on a thumb drive and reload to the HDD? It was a real bitc* loading the 750+ songs since it took almost 45 minutes. I had to cruise around for a while until all the songs loaded.

I also noticed I cannot edit the song info from the HDD.

Ratchet – Have you ever edited the info? I am wondering if I am missing something or if the 430 RBZ is not as user friendly as the other units.

Thanks again.

Findirman 05-25-2012 01:36 PM

Sponge Bob, I don't believe you can create folders on the Jeep HDD. I created the folders/songs on my computer and then saved them to the thumbdrive and then saved all the folders/songs to the Jeep HDD. All the folders/songs copied properly to my 730N and I can edit the name of any song, album or artist.

Snipe315 05-25-2012 07:41 PM

I have the 730N with over 1400 songs on the HDD.

I can serach by Artist, Album, Genres, Songs, or Folders. All offer an A-to-Z search option.

I have all of my music in one folder. Each is in MP3 format and is tagged with all relavent data (Album, Artist, Title, Genres, etc).

Sponge Bob 05-26-2012 08:42 AM

Thanks to all for the info. I still don’t know what I am doing wrong. I have a hard copy of the user manual and have tried to follow along word for word, however neither the “edit” nor the “A->Z” song title option appear. If the dealer wasn’t such a hammerhead I would head over there. From my past experiences, I seem to know more about the vehicle then they do - which is why I always turn to my resident experts (you guys and gals) on Jeep Garage first.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend. I’ll be outside effing around with the radio making myself crazy.

Thanks again!

ErikRP 05-26-2012 10:59 PM

Maybe I missed it, but can you explain exactly how you are transferring the files? Are you creating a folder on your USB drive for each album or artist? Or do you have all your songs in one large folder?

Findirman 05-27-2012 01:39 PM

I created a folder on my computer named Jeep Music and then created sub folders under that for each artist with all their songs. I then saved the Jeep Music folder to the USB and then saved each sub folder on the USB to the Jeep HDD. I can use the search function A to Z and edit artist, songs, albums, folders, etc. Songs are in MP3 format. Hope this helps.

ErikRP 05-27-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findirman (Post 635347)
I created a folder on my computer named Jeep Music and then created sub folders under that for each artist with all their songs. I then saved the Jeep Music folder to the USB and then saved each sub folder on the USB to the Jeep HDD. I can use the search function A to Z and edit artist, songs, albums, folders, etc. Songs are in MP3 format. Hope this helps.

My only thought - and this is nothing but a shot in the dark - but instead of having subfolders, put all the folders in the root of the USB.

I'm not sure why this should affect searching for songs, but it's worth a try.

Sponge Bob 05-28-2012 08:24 AM

Not being that tech savvy, I just copied the songs from my iTunes library onto the USB. So, I guess, I only have the one folder. My latest debacle is I can’t delete individual songs from the HDD. The option does not come up. Again, I have followed the user manual word for word and the only option I get is to delete ALL songs from the HDD.

So to recap:
1. I can’t edit song info
2. I can’t delete individual songs from the HDD
3. I can’t search for a particular song using the “A->Z” option.

Maybe this “high end technology” is too much for my age addled brain. Wonder if I can install my old Pioneer 8-Track player…….

Ratchet 05-28-2012 07:02 PM

Sorry for the late reply Sponge Bob....
I have tried creating folders on the thumbdrive....no dice on single song search.
I have tried dropping songs to the root of the usb....no dice there either.

ALL of my music is properly/fully tagged....guess what? Still no formal song search. Regardless of how I try to load files to the HDD, whenever I goto song search, it's always in alphabetical listing with NO option to at least jump to a particular letter.

To delete individual songs from HDD, you goto My Files>edit playlists.