Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Cv boot issues :( (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/cv-boot-issues-42524.html)

Jvenrick 05-24-2012 06:47 PM

Cv boot issues :(

Hey guys so I went to the dealership today to find out my passenger outer cv boot is torn and leaking. The service guy I talked to said it happened because of the angle the boot is at because of my 2in rc lift... So naturally I have a couple questions for you off road gurus.
1) is this guy blowing smoke up my *** or have others had torn boots from just a 2in lift? I tried searching and did not find much.

2) the guy quoted me $711 for the new boot and axel. This price sounded extremely high to me. Is this a competitive price or extremely high?

3) is it worth replacing everything or should I just get a new boot?

And finally, 4) is there any preventative measures I can take to ensure this is not a recurring problem?

Look forward to hearing any insight or ideas. Thanks!!

Escape 05-24-2012 09:25 PM

Re: Cv boot issues :(

Blowing smoke. It was just a bad part from the factory, it got hit by something or just plain dryed out and cracked, it happens. I check mine every oil change 3,500 miles and keep them clean and protected (moisturized) with armor-all or any tire care product will work as long as it keep the rubber from drying out. That's how they crack (dryed out).

You are flexing the rubber a bit more than it is spec'd for, but I have ran lowered and lifted vehicles for a long time. As long as you up the maintenance on those parts they will last just as long as if you were at factory height.

As for the cost. Well you went to the dealership. Have you priced out any independent shops?

Is it clicking when you turn? Did it lose alot of grease? Does the joint show any signs of wobble or slack? If no to all the above I'd do a boot. If it has issues do a full replacement. Check independent shops though!

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-24-2012 10:27 PM

you can not replace just the boot. they will not be able to tighten the clamps enough to keep a good seal. you will need a new axle. i bought mine from a jeep dealer locally for around $150 if i remember correctly and had it installed at a dealer for $126 so they are certainly ripping you off with that quote. from experience....... DO NOT USE AND AFTERMARKET AXLE!! they feel totally different when you are driving so spent the extra bucks and get a mopar axle.

Jvenrick 05-24-2012 10:56 PM

Thanks for the tips guys!... Svenska do you know where I can get the parts for those prices? thanks.

2005JGC 05-25-2012 12:36 AM

I havent replaced a boot on the wk, but so long as the hardware is installed properly a repair is just as good as the original clamps.

Also I have found with my 2" lift my front axles are just about level, they actually angle up at factory height. None the less Escape hit the nail on the head, It happens, may have been damaged while the lift was installed ;)

AcidCold 06-07-2012 06:08 PM

I've installed 3 in my Jeep, I bought them from RockAuto.com and never had a problem.
They are very easy to do at home.

Madmacc 12-07-2012 02:02 AM

Torn, cracked, cut cv boots? Yes, it happens. Continuous flexing during turns suspension compression/extension, centrifugal force contributes to boot deterioration. As far as cleanliness, yes even grease will deteriorate,oxydize rubber (dry rot). And thats the reason I clean my tires with de-greaser and never apply any petroleum based products.
I bought pliers for installing oem type cv boot clamps at Napa Auto. Let me put another way 98 ZJ 198000 miles, original CV axle shaft . Replaced boots and overhauled cv joint twice since new.

tfranzone 12-11-2012 03:22 PM

ive gotten that clicking/clunking in the front end since my 2" daystar was installed when turning and i've been told its a number of things... i really dont know who the hell to listen to at this point...

first people assured me it was the front diff bushings, then I was told the sway bar bushings, I was also told by a garage who looked at it for free for me that the lift is causing a slight pitch in the front end joints and thats the issue.. is it cv related then?!

nothing has been done to try to correct it yet bc im unsure of the issue and who or what place to trust...but would someone please tell me what it most likely is??.. ive been driving on it with the clicking for about 5 months now (thats how long the lifts been in). nothing has broken at all but it still will click and clunk at times going over bumps and sharper turning up or downhill.. i dont wanna throw money at it fixing things that arent needed.. any idea what would be the absolute number 1 culprit?? my wk only has 46K on it.

Svenska, youre from NEPA.. any place you know that is good with jeep suspension maintence?

ALPINEST4RS 02-07-2013 09:27 AM

I know this is an old post, but I replaced both of my inner cv boots for 40$. I melted them with a torch. teehehe.

You need swage clamp pliers to install the new clamps for the boot. Its very simple.