Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   What is this metal piece under the radio center stack that gets VERY hot? pic inside! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/what-is-this-metal-piece-under-the-radio-center-stack-that-gets-very-hot-pic-inside-42529.html)

JTS97Z28 05-24-2012 08:49 PM

What is this metal piece under the radio center stack that gets VERY hot? pic inside!

SO while installing my footwell ambient LED's today I noticed there is a metal piece with a tuibe coming off it thats under the center radio stack behind some carpet. If you get in the drivers side footwell and pull the carpet back just a little its clearly visible in front of the center console plastic. I accidentally touched this piece and it was absolutely scalding hot. So hot my hand flew off of it. I also noticed that the carpet that rests up against it actually melted a little.
My vehicle is a 2012 Overland with only 2500 miles on it. No problems and everything works great. The reason I am concerned is becuase this thing was ridiculously hot and it sort of has me concerned. What in the world would be in the dash that needs to get so hot? I recently was driving the Jeep it was 90 degrees today I used the A/C and the ventilated seats.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Here is the picture its the metal thing in the middle. You can actually see where the melted carpet is stuck to it.

http://www.linenoyz.net/files/images/DSC08010.JPG

blevett 05-24-2012 08:55 PM

Re: What is this metal piece under the radio center stack that gets VERY hot? pic ins

Possibly part of the heater core?

Rocky31186 05-24-2012 09:19 PM

Re: What is this metal piece under the radio center stack that gets VERY hot? pic ins

That is a coolant line going into your heater core. That gets above 200*..

I think there is suppose to be something between that and your carpet though. So it doesnt catch fire..

Maybe you should light it on fire.. and become retired early?

JTS97Z28 05-24-2012 09:34 PM

Ok thanks for the info. If anyone gets a second can they peak in there and see if they have something that goes between the metal and the carpet? Good thing the Jeep is parked outside for several days as I epoxy coat my garage floor ;-)

peckmv 05-26-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justal13 (Post 634653)
Actually, that is the suction line from the AC system evaporator coil. Look at your AC unit at home. The suction line (smaller) gets quite hot, the discharge line (larger/insulated) gets cold. I would not worry about the temperature setting anything on fire, it does not get that hot. Too hot to touch, not hot enough to burn.

Not quite true. The smaller line is the liquid line, not suction. The line that gets hot is the line that goes from the comp to the condensor and then enters the metering device. At that point it boils off and expands, turns cold, and enters the evaporator which is located in the dash.;)

ColdCase 05-26-2012 05:19 PM

Well the heater core tube will get as hot as the radiator, 220F+, which can burn/scald a hand pretty quick. There is always radiator fluid flowing through the heater core.

Chaoul1 05-26-2012 05:27 PM

Suction Line is always cold, that's the Liquid line.

JTS97Z28 05-26-2012 09:07 PM

Alright thanks for all the info guys. Now back to one of the other original questions, is there a piece missing or should my carpet be literally resting on this thing? As seen in the picture it is hit enough to melt it slightly?

If anyone can reach in there to see how there's is I would greatly appreciate it. Nothing needs to be removed its easily accessible.

mr_bots 05-30-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 635151)
Alright thanks for all the info guys. Now back to one of the other original questions, is there a piece missing or should my carpet be literally resting on this thing? As seen in the picture it is hit enough to melt it slightly?

If anyone can reach in there to see how there's is I would greatly appreciate it. Nothing needs to be removed its easily accessible.

Mine looks just like yours

TurboJB 12-02-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 635151)

Had a burning smell in the car over the weekend, long road trip. Checked the carpet looked exactly like yours, partly melted. I can't imagine that that is right...

netboy 12-10-2013 11:42 PM

Checked mine and the pipe is the same, but my carpet is fine and there are no burn marks. The insulation is trimmed below the height of the pipe, and the carpet is being held by a channel in the trim panel about 1" away from the pipe. If the carpet is not resting in the channel, it might end up touching the pipe and getting scorched.

peckmv 12-12-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 635104)
Suction Line is always cold, that's the Liquid line.

The suction line is not the liquid line. The only part of the whole system where liquid is present is between the condenser and the evaporator. The rest of the system is in a gas state.