Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Did not listen, now paying the price (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/did-not-listen-now-paying-the-price-42538.html)

Speedtech 05-25-2012 06:06 AM

Did not listen, now paying the price

So I went ahead and got the Flowmaster cat-back for my '06 Hemi GC. Installed it, fits nice, all stainless. It is to loud and has bad droning, contacted Flowmaster, not much help there. Researching mufflers right now, I want a semi quiet good flowing muffler, already got 3 inch stainless pipes. Looking at Magnaflow muffler 12589, Dynomax super turbo 17769, and Walker Quiet-Flow 21054. I would like a stainless muffler to go with the stainless pipes, if the Walker Quiet-Flow was available in the size I need in stainless, it would already be ordered. I guess the moral of this story is to listen to the guys that have been there and to avoid Flowmaster products unless using it on a full on racer or interior sound quality is a non-issue.

robpp 05-25-2012 07:02 AM

Add your stock resonator to the cat back and you will be golden

mTBrunner83 05-25-2012 08:01 AM

Re: Did not listen, now paying the price

I love the sound of my flowmaster exhaust but I will admit the drone was a bit much at first. But I have grown into it very quickly. I too originally thought I had made a mistake, but it sounds very nice even with the 3.7L. I did consider a resonator but then that would defeat the purpose of getting the agressive sounding muffler in the first place.

jrjeep 05-25-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mTBrunner83 (Post 634538)
I love the sound of my flowmaster exhaust but I will admit the drone was a bit much at first. But I have grown into it very quickly. I too originally thought I had made a mistake, but it sounds very nice even with the 3.7L. I did consider a resonator but then that would defeat the purpose of getting the agressive sounding muffler in the first place.

I agree with you its not bad at all in the 3.7.

Speedtech 05-25-2012 04:43 PM

Ok found a Walker Quiet-Flow SS in the size I need muffler #21054, technically it is for a '91 Chevy Blazer with a 5.7. I will be willing to sell the like new Flowmaster Super 50 SS with 3" inlet/outlet at about 1/2 the cost of new.

jeepgcoman 05-25-2012 07:38 PM

Speedtech, it took me 3 tries to get mine to pass the "wife test" and now, IMO, it's just about perfect. There is no drone, and almost no note change when dropping into MDS mode. In order, here's what I ended up with.....all 3 in. straight through:
--12 in. glasspack in front of muffler
--14589 Magnaflow in the stock muffler position
--XS1229 Xlerator AP in the resonator position

It's nice and mellow driving normally, and throaty when at WOT.

Megatron 05-25-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 634843)
Speedtech, it took me 3 tries to get mine to pass the "wife test" and now, IMO, it's just about perfect. There is no drone, and almost no note change when dropping into MDS mode. In order, here's what I ended up with.....all 3 in. straight through:
--12 in. glasspack in front of muffler
--14589 Magnaflow in the stock muffler position
--XS1229 Xlerator AP in the resonator position

It's nice and mellow driving normally, and throaty when at WOT.

Sounds interesting. Got any videos?

jeepgcoman 05-25-2012 09:21 PM

Don't have anything with closed exhaust, only with open exhaust from the drags a couple weeks ago. I am not authorized to post attachments though. One video is 21 MB (outside the vehicle) and the other (inside the vehicle) is a little over 30 MB.

phox 05-26-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 634874)
Don't have anything with closed exhaust, only with open exhaust from the drags a couple weeks ago. I am not authorized to post attachments though. One video is 21 MB (outside the vehicle) and the other (inside the vehicle) is a little over 30 MB.

youtube dude. that's too big for a forum attachment!

plus I wanna see these :o

jeepgcoman 05-26-2012 11:25 AM

Sorry, Phox, I know cars, but not computers. I have trouble turning my computer on sometimes. Got a virus on it a couple months ago, and reluctantly had to pay to get it fixed. Don't know anything about utube, especially how to use it. Remember, I am just an old fa**, and all of this technology stuff is a mystery to me. Give me a wrench and an ohmmeter and I can fix it though.

HEMI05 05-26-2012 12:10 PM

i love my custom 3" pipe with flowmaster 44 and magnaflow tip.sound good for cruisin and roar on wot..;) just perfect combo with my airaid intake.

Chaoul1 05-26-2012 09:40 PM

I got a nice magnaflow cat-back. You can probably go with a MBRP Cat-back.