Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   air freshner acid damage (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/air-freshner-acid-damage-42542.html)

12167jeep 05-25-2012 08:30 AM

air freshner acid damage

I was cleaning out my jeep yesterday and i knocked one of those liquid glade air freshners out of the vent and some drops wents all over. I saw them and im positive i cleaned them because thats what i was doing. But anywho, i guess some drops landed on the select track plastic and this morning..... It was bubbled up and peeling like a mofo. Any idea where i can get and new set of the plastics????

AAAA 05-25-2012 09:21 AM

Re: air freshner acid damage

JunkyardS (I mean "salvage" yards) do local junkyard searches for parts via the web. That's what I would do first.

12167jeep 05-25-2012 09:49 AM

Thats what i was thinkin, but what the hell would you call it? It ate up the right side buttons and just right of the knob which is the whole main piece

BuckeyeSRT 05-25-2012 09:55 AM

Geez, What the heck is in those things?

12167jeep 05-25-2012 09:59 AM

Dunno but its bad juju. Got in this morning and i thought it was bird shit. It blistered up and looked like chunks of tar.

SixZeroFour 05-25-2012 11:32 AM

That's kinda crazy that it blistered like that...

I'm guessing you need to replace the whole piece - I would call it the shifter surround when you call around. The whole centre section including cup holders is all one piece.

On a side note - please let me know if you do replace this piece as I messed up one of my cup holders and could probably salvage the piece I need from your damaged part. Let me know what you want for it!

jeepster23 05-25-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12167jeep (Post 634613)
Dunno but its bad juju. Got in this morning and i thought it was bird shit. It blistered up and looked like chunks of tar.

That shit stripped the paint right off the center console of my GMC Sierra where it spilled one time.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-25-2012 11:48 AM

Lkq has them, they sell the whole center console only though. Give them a call and they can search their national inventory

12167jeep 05-25-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 634664)
Lkq has them, they sell the whole center console only though. Give them a call and they can search their national inventory

Negative results on the search but thanks though, all im getting is a quote for the console at $300. Its gotta be a seperate piece because the e packages have the coin holder there right? I think im gonna snap some pics and email some salvage places.

12167jeep 05-25-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixZeroFour (Post 634658)
That's kinda crazy that it blistered like that...

I'm guessing you need to replace the whole piece - I would call it the shifter surround when you call around. The whole centre section including cup holders is all one piece.

On a side note - please let me know if you do replace this piece as I messed up one of my cup holders and could probably salvage the piece I need from your damaged part. Let me know what you want for it!

Will do

12167jeep 05-25-2012 09:02 PM

No luck online yet, anybody know any good sites?

SixZeroFour 05-26-2012 02:21 AM

It looks like they are going to warranty my cup holder so I no longer need any parts but thanks anyway. There is actually a chance I will be getting to keep my original shifter surround as well. If that is the case I will let you know - maybe you can swap just the cup holder section over. Otherwise it is in good shape and from a black interior. Might be a few days before the new part gets here though.