Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/)
-   -   Turbo Timer for WK2 Grand Cherokee CRD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/turbo-timer-for-wk2-grand-cherokee-crd-42583.html)

martel49 05-26-2012 05:28 AM

Turbo Timer for WK2 Grand Cherokee CRD

Hi fellow Jeep owners, I would like to install a turbo timer to my diesel WK2 and was wondering if anyone has fitted one to a WK2 Grand Cherokee CRD and will it affect vehicle warranty.

ENFORCER 05-27-2012 02:49 AM

Re: Turbo Timer for WK2 Grand Cherokee CRD

I do not think you would have a warranty issue, but more likely a problem making it work with the security.
The smart electronics tend to stop turbo timers. A bit of common sense when by ideling for a min before switchoff would stop the need for a TT.

savvas 05-27-2012 07:05 AM

Another issue is that it is illegal to leave a car running and unattended. So if you have a turbo timer, then you need to stay with the car until it has stopped running anyway. That has insurance implications as well.

Given that, and the complexities of the engine management and security, you're better off just idling for a minute before turning off.

martel49 05-27-2012 07:10 AM

I idle mine for awhile now but still would like to have a TT. I will talk to my service manager and ask about it.

suzieque 05-27-2012 10:05 AM

I wonder if you could use the remote start, I think it idles for 5 minutes then shuts down.

savvas 05-28-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 635312)
I wonder if you could use the remote start, I think it idles for 5 minutes then shuts down.

Australian GC's dont have remote start. There isnt the climatic requirement for it, as there may be in the US, Canada or Northern Europe.

Then there's still the issue of unattended running of car which is not allowed in Australia.

robtminor 06-12-2012 11:08 AM

The remote start runs for 15 minutes. Didn't know about no unattended running of car in Australia. I build Western Star Trucks in U.S. and the Australian trucks are the only ones with turbo timers installed. Something we don't use in North America. I'm assuming Jeep didn't supply your diesels with Turbo boost gauges? I run a Hemi here, diesel not yet available.

suzieque 06-12-2012 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
does the owner manual for the WK2 have a turbo cool down chart similar to the WK?

I do not know Chrysler's definition of a "Warm" vs "Hot" turbo.

savvas 06-12-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 642342)
does the owner manual for the WK2 have a turbo cool down chart similar to the WK?

I do not know Chrysler's definition of a "Warm" vs "Hot" turbo.

I havent spotted anything like that in the current manual. This is all that is stated ...

Stopping The Engine
Before turning off your turbo diesel engine,
always allow the engine to return to normal idle
speed and run for several seconds. This assures
proper lubrication of the turbocharger.
This is particularly necessary after any period
of hard driving.
Idle the engine a few minutes before routine
shutdown. After full load operation, idle the
engine three to five minutes before shutting it
down. This idle period will allow the lubricating
oil and coolant to carry excess heat away from
the combustion chamber, bearings, internal
components, and turbocharger. This is especially
important for turbocharged, charge air
cooled engines.

savvas 06-12-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robtminor (Post 642223)
The remote start runs for 15 minutes. Didn't know about no unattended running of car in Australia. I build Western Star Trucks in U.S. and the Australian trucks are the only ones with turbo timers installed. Something we don't use in North America. I'm assuming Jeep didn't supply your diesels with Turbo boost gauges? I run a Hemi here, diesel not yet available.

There's no boost gauges in the CRD, which frankly shouldnt be too hard for Jeep to include in the evic.

You can buy turbo timers in Australia very easily. The bit about no unattended running means you just cant walk away until the engine stops running.

That's a good point about the trucks. We always see trucks and buses with their engines running, however the drivers are generally not too far away.

GlennR 06-13-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvas (Post 642491)
There's no boost gauges in the CRD, which frankly shouldnt be too hard for Jeep to include in the evic.

You can buy turbo timers in Australia very easily. The bit about no unattended running means you just cant walk away until the engine stops running.

That's a good point about the trucks. We always see trucks and buses with their engines running, however the drivers are generally not too far away.

Hi Savvas,
Worth copying a link to this page on WK2 Downunder? I've just read through all the posts on this subject and theere is really good info.

Dasher 08-27-2012 06:32 AM

I was a heavy vehicle driver the one main difference in leaving a heavy running to leaving your car is that it is harder to drive away heavy laden truck where any kid can put a running car into "D" and go