Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   2000 jeep i6 rad fan not turning on. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/2000-jeep-i6-rad-fan-not-turning-on-42589.html)

violant00 05-26-2012 09:49 AM

2000 jeep i6 rad fan not turning on.
 
This has been an ongoing issue for me esepcially now that it has gotten hotter outside. I replaced the radiator, waterpump,coolant temp sensor and the fan relay. Not only does the fan not turn on when the engine starts to overheat but it would sometimes come on at random. It doesnt turn on when the a/c is activated either.

So i decided to test the fan by hooking it up straight to a battery pack and it worked just fine. The only thing i can think of is that the fan relay that i purslchased from autozone is defective or the coolant temp sensor is not working correctly.

Any input would be fantastic thanks!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Frango100 05-26-2012 10:04 AM

Re: 2000 jeep i6 rad fan not turning on.
 
Eventhough the fan works when connected directly to the battery, it still can be that it draws too much current and fries the new relay in a short time. I heard, i think from 2005JGC, that he always changes the fan motor together with the fan relay.

violant00 05-26-2012 10:32 AM

Re: 2000 jeep i6 rad fan not turning on.
 
So its possible that the relay is fried and would need to replaced along with a new fan. I just turned the jeep on now with the a/c on and the fan kicked on. Like a mind of its own.:slapfight:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 635009)
Eventhough the fan works when connected directly to the battery, it still can be that it draws too much current and fries the new relay in a short time. I heard, i think from 2005JGC, that he always changes the fan motor together with the fan relay.


Frango100 05-26-2012 04:17 PM

Re: 2000 jeep i6 rad fan not turning on.
 
That is strange indeed. Also have a look now to see if the fan will kick on when the temperature gets too high. What was the max temperature reached before?

violant00 05-26-2012 04:55 PM

Re: 2000 jeep i6 rad fan not turning on.
 
It will just keep going up the most it went up to is 250 260 but ofcourse when i drive the air pushes through cooling the engine also on the highway its fine but if i get caught in traffic is the problem. And there have been times when it stayed at 230 i get home check in the engine bay and see the fan running but at the slowest speed ever. Me blowing on it would have made it cool faster

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 635090)
That is strange indeed. Also have a look now to see if the fan will kick on when the temperature gets too high. What was the max temperature reached before?


2005JGC 05-26-2012 11:34 PM

Re: 2000 jeep i6 rad fan not turning on.
 
Do you have air in your cooling system? HG failure, cracked head, external coolant leak?

I do always check the fan for amperage draw, if it draws too much amperage I do suggest replacement (I have a pretty crude go-no-go test using my power probe that I use). I do feel that a fan drawing too much amperage through the relay will burn it up.

Its tough because with a scan tool you can actuate the fan and verify what is functioning and what is not without worrying about a time limit before you need to get it shut off. Ultimately if you could see your temperature information that your pcm is interpreting...

Your going to need to verify your inputs and outputs to deturmine the problem. Verify the pcm is getting a good signal and that the control side of the circuit works, you can verify your output side (including through the relay) by grounding the pcm control on the relay, (iirc the 3rd pin from the left with the latch on the top looking into the connector, the second to the left should be your + to run the fan, pins 1 and 4 are power and ground respectively) Right now my access to diagrams is down (site maintainence?) If I have some time tomorrow Ill add some suggestions.

violant00 05-27-2012 05:13 AM

Re: 2000 jeep i6 rad fan not turning on.
 
Not sure its air in the cooling system i'm not losing any coolant thats for sure. Its come down to it i'm going to replace fan first then see what happens from there because its the only thing i did not replace... if the relay is burnt out I can bring it back to autozone for replacement. after that i appreciate this help i figure in the back of my mind that it might be something electrical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 635190)
Do you have air in your cooling system? HG failure, cracked head, external coolant leak?

I do always check the fan for amperage draw, if it draws too much amperage I do suggest replacement (I have a pretty crude go-no-go test using my power probe that I use). I do feel that a fan drawing too much amperage through the relay will burn it up.

Its tough because with a scan tool you can actuate the fan and verify what is functioning and what is not without worrying about a time limit before you need to get it shut off. Ultimately if you could see your temperature information that your pcm is interpreting...

Your going to need to verify your inputs and outputs to deturmine the problem. Verify the pcm is getting a good signal and that the control side of the circuit works, you can verify your output side (including through the relay) by grounding the pcm control on the relay, (iirc the 3rd pin from the left with the latch on the top looking into the connector, the second to the left should be your + to run the fan, pins 1 and 4 are power and ground respectively) Right now my access to diagrams is down (site maintainence?) If I have some time tomorrow Ill add some suggestions.


violant00 05-28-2012 06:28 AM

Re: 2000 jeep i6 rad fan not turning on.
 
Little update today... When I got to work this morning and popped open the hood to see the fan not functioning again, did didn't really start to overheat but you culd tell it was about to. So i decided to spin the fan a little bit and the fan kicks on but at very low speed. At this point im thinking the relay is not functioning correctly or the fan is blown to @#$%. Maybe when i get home ill have to time to check everything out.

Frango100 05-28-2012 08:41 AM

Re: 2000 jeep i6 rad fan not turning on.
 
This looks more as a fan motor problem. A relay normally works fine, or not at all.
By the way, take care spinning the fan by hand with the engine hot. It could suddenly start running and eventually hit a finger.

violant00 05-28-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 635585)
This looks more as a fan motor problem. A relay normally works fine, or not at all.
By the way, take care spinning the fan by hand with the engine hot. It could suddenly start running and eventually hit a finger.

I know! It hit my finger good thing it was such a low speed...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

hoffmanestates 05-28-2012 06:01 PM

check harness for rub through and chaffing

Turbo charged G2X using tapatalk 2

bumnt 06-01-2012 11:40 AM

Re: 2000 jeep i6 rad fan not turning on.
 
Don't use aftermarket fan relays... Mopar only.

-Kyle


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community