Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2005 jeep liberty overheating ac blowing hot

16K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeksdad 
#1 ·
2005 Jeep liberty radiator fan not coming on a/c blowing hot air, checked fuses and relay and jumped the fan... all works what next...

Thanks

#3 ·
Same thing just happened to my GF's Liberty - turns out the fan wasnt working. Replaced that, topped off coolant and AC - good to go! ;)

#4 · (Edited)
You mean that the fan doesn't run when you switch the AC on?
Is the AC compressor running when selected on? There should be a certain minimum pressure in the system to be able to get the AC compressor working. Maybe its time to take it to a specialized AC shop and let them check the system for leaks and put a fresh gas charge in it.
Does the cooling fan work normally when the engine is hot and the jeep standing still for a while?
Just seeing now the header where you mention OVERHEATING:eek:.
So how did you check the relay? I'm not familiar with the Liberty cooling system, but if the relay and the fan are ok, it could be a temp sensor or wiring.

#5 ·
It is full of coolant, when i started it this morning the radiator fan came on and air was blowing cold, now radiator fan not on and blowing hot air.. Checked the fan jumping it from the pins to battery, checked the relay's from switching with one I knew was good. I have no idea what it is...And yes I am a female but know a little about cars.. Thanks for any ideas....

#6 ·
At that point - id check into what Frango suggested - temp sensor or wiring.

#10 ·
It would only throw a code if the temp sensor is COMPLETELY dead (I believe). I dont think partial working will show you anything. On my GF's fan being dead, we didnt have any codes - i checked.

#9 ·
Your issue seems to be electrical - I have no idea where exactly - that's where you come in :) We can only suggest possibilities :)

#12 ·
Good luck :thumbsup: You might want to wiggle some wires and see what happens. I have a service and repair manual (PDF), but it's 66Mb. If you want to PM me your email address, I'll be glad to send it to ya :)

#13 ·
The cooling fan should come on in 2 cases, when the engine temperature reaches a certain level, or when the AC is switched on. This last one is not working now and then, but will the cooling fan come on when the engine temperature gets too high? You did talk about overheating, but is it really? Is everything normal (engine temp and AC cold air) when you drive around on the highway?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.