Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Tire/wheel protection package (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/tire-wheel-protection-package-42624.html)

Shore Points 05-27-2012 01:08 PM

Tire/wheel protection package

Putting the last touches on my JGC deal. Dealer is offering a wheel/tire protection package for $499. Good for 7/60,000. Anyone familiar with this plan? Any recommendations?

Sorry if this has been discussed already. I didn't find anything in the search.

TC

PeterM 05-27-2012 09:36 PM

Re: Tire/wheel protection package

I bought it with my extended warranty. Wheels and tires are expensive. At least you know $499 is all you will spend until you need to replace the tires. If you do get a flat I believe you have to tell the dealer you hit a pot hole, regardless of how you ruined the tire. Maybe other members can chime in on this.

ColdCase 05-27-2012 10:25 PM

What size wheels? It's like any insurance, you will have to ruin about two wheels/tires for it to be worthwhile. A20 inch wheel and tire is about $350 from a discount dealer, 17s much less.

ernestd 05-28-2012 09:05 AM

Ididn't get it for my vehicle.They do make you pay for mileage used so it's not really a 100% replacement warranty.
Another way for the dealer to make some money .
Cheers

eibyer 05-28-2012 09:55 AM

If you're set on getting that insurance, the online warranty dealers sell it too, I bet for cheaper than the dealers.

This is from chryslerfactoryplans:
X 7 YEARS/UNLIMITED MILES - RHTW7N$250.00

carlosmp 05-28-2012 11:17 PM

Well I can tell you I got a nail on one of my tires (20") and got it replaced with a new one instead of getting it patched because the technician said it was close to the sidewall and would be problematic.
Got an invoice for $375 for the tire, which had to be ordered in. And the tire package covered the whole thing, did not pay a cent.
I'm happy I got it.

JRNYC 05-29-2012 10:03 AM

Is your a Chrysler warranty?

I have an extended platinum warranty and and additional tire and rim warranty. I have to pay a 40 dollar deductible for the rim though. Mine is through I think Fidelity or another party.

Sliter'12Overland 05-29-2012 11:21 AM

That would cover 2 really good tires 18" or 20" and I've never had to replace 2 tires before a total replacement. As for wheels don't hit curbs, a wheel getting wrecked is not very common and odds are you won't be much more than $500 to replace a set.

JRNYC 05-29-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sliter'12Overland (Post 636031)
That would cover 2 really good tires 18" or 20" and I've never had to replace 2 tires before a total replacement. As for wheels don't hit curbs, a wheel getting wrecked is not very common and odds are you won't be much more than $500 to replace a set.

I agree! I have the 18" polished yada yada with OR2. I love my rims over all the others offered.

Since I drive in NYC streets 75% of the time I thought the 20's although very attractive would be more prone to getting bent damaged etc from the enviornment. So I got the extra wheel and tire warranty just in case. The way the finance guy explained it is that anything happens to the wheel it is fixed replaced under that warranty.

Then I saw the price of the rims online and my 18's where going for like 220 a piece. Ehh its a toss up i guess. I could have saved the 3-400 dollar rim warranty but opted for piece of mind knowing it would be covered.

Of course how the dealer treats the incident if there ever is one is still to be seen. And I dont drive aggressively very often and I am very aware of where and how i drive and park.

6 of one half a dozen of the other i guess.

SW03ES 05-29-2012 12:06 PM

I wouldn't.

ColdCase 05-29-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosmp (Post 635877)
Well I can tell you I got a nail on one of my tires (20") and got it replaced with a new one instead of getting it patched because the technician said it was close to the sidewall and would be problematic.
Got an invoice for $375 for the tire, which had to be ordered in. And the tire package covered the whole thing, did not pay a cent.
I'm happy I got it.

Yeah these guys inflate the tire invoices quite a bit to make you fell good about the insurance purchase decision. For example, tire rack sells the OEM 20s for $130 plus shipping (local tire dealers will price match). $375 is what, over a $200 markup, yikes. Many tire shops do offer road hazard for a lot less money.

PeterM 05-29-2012 06:00 PM

The way it was explained to me when I bought my vehicle was even if you scratch the wheel (curb rash) you can get a replacement. They had an 18" WK2 polished wheel mounted on the wall with curb rash that was replaced under warranty. So you don't have to break the wheels to be covered. The 20" Foteras are not that expensive, I paid $156.77 per tire from a Good Year tire store in my city. You're right it's insurance and I hope I never use it.