Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Resonator Delete? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/resonator-delete-42638.html)

E55 Bulldog 05-27-2012 08:24 PM

Resonator Delete?
 
Has anyone removed their Resonator on their stock exhaust to get some more sound out of it?

Im surprised how quite this jeep is. I have straight piped other V8s and it sounded good but I am not sure about this one.

madini 05-28-2012 09:51 AM

Re: Resonator Delete?
 
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!Some of us thought this would be a simple way to get a "HEMI" sound for less money than a performance exhaust system.It is fine until your WK2 goes into MDS mode and produces a "drone" that will not stop until you downshift .Search this part of the forum for suggestions of what you need to do.If I had it to do over ,I'd try removing the main muffler and just run through the resonators.That is probably the only thing I havn't tried.At this point I am waiting for a Corsa exhaust to be delivered.

Kamil 83 05-28-2012 10:19 AM

Re: Resonator Delete?
 
http://youtu.be/EWUWjn66aAY

E55 Bulldog 05-28-2012 03:10 PM

Re: Resonator Delete?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by madini (Post 635604)
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!Some of us thought this would be a simple way to get a "HEMI" sound for less money than a performance exhaust system.It is fine until your WK2 goes into MDS mode and produces a "drone" that will not stop until you downshift .Search this part of the forum for suggestions of what you need to do.If I had it to do over ,I'd try removing the main muffler and just run through the resonators.That is probably the only thing I havn't tried.At this point I am waiting for a Corsa exhaust to be delivered.

Do you know if there are any sound clips of the WK2 with this.
I can't remove the mufflers as it wont pass inspection. The Res is the only think I can get away with cutting out.

Are there any good priced set ups to get this thing sounding like a HEMI?

ColdCase 05-29-2012 01:09 PM

Re: Resonator Delete?
 
There was several treads here about a year ago with a number of experiments and sound bites. A lot of disappointments. Results depends on whether you can tolerate the drone when MDS kicks in or not. If you always run MDS disabled, there are several cat back systems that work well, but none are cheap. The only system that sounds good and does not drone is the Corsa (or the rebadged MOPAR version)

thinkingjeep 05-29-2012 01:26 PM

Re: Resonator Delete?
 
Which one is the resonator and which one is the muffler? Is it the one-piece, almost center of the jeep, or the 2 seperated behind the tail pipes?

Thanks,

robtminor 06-12-2012 11:40 AM

Re: Resonator Delete?
 
The muffler is in the center, resonators at tips.

JeepCoop 06-12-2012 12:36 PM

Oh it's not that bad. For stock maybe. I've got a 14" Magnaflow on my Hemi and I just cut off the reso and I LOVE it!!! Doesn't drone at all. MDS sounds a lil funny when it kicks on but I don't care. The beast sounds pissed off!! :D

E55 Bulldog 06-12-2012 12:46 PM

Re: Resonator Delete?
 
Do you have a video or sound bite of this you could email me?

JeepCoop 06-12-2012 01:04 PM

Yup, I do! I'll post it here for ya...

I used a saws all and cut it off 2" before the inlet.
http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4d005-8486-226d.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4d005-839c-4688.jpg

Video at idle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...c/65ef6a1f.mp4

And driving...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...c/7efed15e.mp4

ogbred 06-26-2012 10:57 PM

Re: Resonator Delete?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog (Post 635442)
Has anyone removed their Resonator on their stock exhaust to get some more sound out of it?

Im surprised how quite this jeep is. I have straight piped other V8s and it sounded good but I am not sure about this one.

I did exactly that to my 2011 V8 and I love the sound. Not too loud but you know it's a V8.All this talk about MDS drone is foolish. Unless your on a highway hit the TOW-Haul button and the MDS does not activate.I find that around town I get better milage in the TOW-HAUL mode.

robtminor 06-26-2012 11:12 PM

Re: Resonator Delete?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogbred (Post 648633)
I did exactly that to my 2011 V8 and I love the sound. Not too loud but you know it's a V8.All this talk about MDS drone is foolish. Unless your on a highway hit the TOW-Haul button and the MDS does not activate.I find that around town I get better milage in the TOW-HAUL mode.

Thanks for the tip on mileage and the MDS drone issue. I drive in town constantly and will try the Tow/Haul button. I consistently get 9.5 miles to the gallon in city currently.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community